Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I cloned the 11.3 I made successfully with ccc btw. It wanted (as usual) to wipe the destination drive of course.

the destination is an even slower 160GB 2,5" spinner. No difference in this race. Also I have the feeling that verbose booting helped a bit, too in more successful boots.

So still am into this bsd! problem, 1 of 5 boots maybe. And it's a Single CPU 4.1 on 144 Firmware with latest bootloader.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
This has been an absurdly long day for me, starting at about 4am local time. I really shouldn't be spending time on this, but I got caught up in it; here are some results that may or may not be useful.

Base system:
  • Mac Pro 4,1 flashed to 5,1 BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 Dual X5675 (3.06 GHz)
  • 64 GB 1066 MHz ECC (8x8GB)
  • NO WIFI CARD
  • Factory Bluetooth card
  • PowerColor Radeon RX 570 4GB (which has worked perfectly in my MP3,1 and this MP for years) in slot 1
  • For testing, I used an old Apple keyboard and mouse (from a G5)

I did a fresh install of Big Sur 11.3 (20E232) using OCLP 0.1.1.
For the install, I removed all drives except for a blank 120GB SATA SSD.
Installation went fairly smoothly, although it's about the longest fresh install I can remember (there were a LOT of reboots before I got the final setup screens).

With the system as shown above, I rebooted four times without incident, using both "restart" and "shut down."
I then added in my Sonnet Allegro (ASM1142-based USB3 card), and did two more successful boots (slot 3, slot 2).

I then removed the ASM1142 card and added my NVMe drive (Micro Connectors M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 adapter with heat sink + Inland Premium 256GB 3D NAND NVMe SSD (Phison E12 controller, firmware ECFM22.7)), which has been running perfectly in this system under both Mojave and Catalina, in slot 3.
First boot was successful, the next 40 boots with the NVMe installed saw about a 15% success rate (I was also varying the conditions; see below). Another 20 boots without the NVMe were interspersed in there; all were successful.

Based solely upon my setup here (i.e. you shouldn't extrapolate too much without more testing), trying various combinations of components, I can make the following observations (your mileage may vary):
  • Timing of the boot (delay between OC appearing and me pressing ENTER to boot) appears to make no difference.
  • Presence or absence of my ASM1142 card appears to make no difference. (This was a surprise.)
  • Presence or absence of additional drives (SSDs or spinners) appears to make no difference. Presence or absence of additional drives on any given port (ODD SATA or backplane) appears to make no difference.
  • Being connected or disconnected from Ethernet appears to make no difference.
  • NVMe in slots 2, 3, or 4 appears to make no difference. I had successful boots with the NVMe in each of those slots, along with a great many unsuccessful ones.
  • Presence or absence of USB devices (mouse, keyboard, hub, flash drive), and which USB2 ports they're in, appears to make little or no difference. (I include "little" here because on two occasions, inserting a flash drive mid-boot yielded a successful boot; however, since six other attempts to do the same thing failed, that's probably just a coincidence.)
  • On my system, set up as noted, I get (so far) a 100% success rate booting with no NVMe device installed (and varying other devices (including SSDs and the USB3 card)), but only about a 15% success rate with the NVMe installed. That suggests that (for my system, at least) the NVMe is the trigger for the problem.
  • Despite the ridiculous number of reboots I've done today, I have not attempted to do 10 consecutive reboots with the NVMe card removed, so I can't say I've passed @startergo's test. That being said, from what I've seen so far, I have no reason to believe that's not possible on my system.

Now that I have an installed copy of Big Sur 11.3, I can start analyzing the code itself.
I've barely started on that, but I can make one observation:

A frequent set of NVMe assert() errors on the verbose boot screen (just before a hang) are:
Code:
AppleNVMe Assert failed: ( 0 != data ) ReleaseIDNode file: {...path...}/IONVMeController.cpp line: 5669
AppleNVMe Assert failed: 0 == (status) Exit file: {...path...}/IONVMeController.cpp line: 5718

The first one (line 5669) is from IONVMeController::GetChipInfo(), which attempts to get an IORegistryEntry object: "IODeviceTree:/chosen" "chip-id". When that fails, we see the assert message.

The second one (line 5718) is a direct result of the first; when ::GetChipInfo() returns its error code, its caller (in this case, IONVMeController::CheckWorkaround()) displays its own assert failure message.

It's completely unclear whether this is significant or just another meaningless (to us) debug message.

I haven't had time to dig much deeper yet, but out of curiosity, could someone with a genuine Apple NVMe device do an ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree and see if there's a chip-id identifier anywhere in the output?
(ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep "chip" will tell you if there's something there; if so, the full
ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree would be helpful (you might want to redact any personal info that appears, though)).

EDIT: I forgot to mention something odd that may or may not be relevant. On Mojave and Catalina, the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test pretty consistently shows my NVMe drive getting 1400+MBps/1300+MBps (read/write). Under Big Sur 11.3, it was showing anything between 250MB/s and 1450MB/s, with basically no consistency. This is a highly anecdotal result, as I was just running it on a whim, but I wonder if it's related to underlying NVMe issues (or maybe I just need a nap).

Last edited:

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Despite the ridiculous number of reboots I've done today, I have not attempted to do 10 consecutive reboots with the NVMe card removed, so I can't say I've passed @startergo's test. That being said, from what I've seen so far, I have no reason to believe that's not possible on my system.
After NVRAM reset I have 50-75% boot success. (only 2 SSD drives in the Upper and Lowed DVD bay slot)
AppleNVMe Assert failed: ( 0 != data ) ReleaseIDNode file: {...path...}/IONVMeController.cpp line: 5669 AppleNVMe Assert failed: 0 == (status) Exit file: {...path...}/IONVMeController.cpp line: 5718
I got exactly the same lines with NVMe installed (OWC Accelsior 4M2).

cdf

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2012
I haven't had time to dig much deeper yet, but out of curiosity, could someone with a genuine Apple NVMe device do an ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree and see if there's a chip-id identifier anywhere in the output?
(ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep "chip" will tell you if there's something there; if so, the full
ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree would be helpful (you might want to redact any personal info that appears, though)).
No chip-id found with the Apple NVMe device on my MacBook.

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2019
No chip-id found with the Apple NVMe device on my MacBook.
That might be a red herring, then. I was thinking it might somehow relate to identifying genuine Apple devices, but maybe it's just something unrelated.

Reactions: cdf

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
That might be a red herring, then. I was thinking it might somehow relate to identifying genuine Apple devices, but maybe it's just something unrelated.
Code:
"Model Number" = "APPLE SSD AP0256M"
    | | |   |   "AppleEffaceableRegistryID" = 4294968344
    | | |   |   "IOCommandPoolSize" = 128
    | | |   |   "Chipset Name" = "SSD Controller"

Reactions: Syncretic

JohnD

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Los Angeles, California
ok, with the OpenCore package what oclp 0.1.2 builds (https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher)

it boots 11.3 stable (spinner on 4.1/5.1 144)

even my AHCI Blade does not stop booting.

Just used the OpenCore package and nothing else from oclp. No patches outside OC.

Attached the OpenCore package
Select "Reboot" from the login screen 20x, and let us know if you experience any hangs.

safari70

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
ON
ok, with the OpenCore package what oclp 0.1.2 builds (https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher)

it boots 11.3 stable (spinner on 4.1/5.1 144)

even my AHCI Blade does not stop booting.

Just used the OpenCore package and nothing else from oclp. No patches outside OC.

Attached the OpenCore package

I can test this on my system but not sure how to integrate it with my EFI? Do I just copy the "System/..." folders into my EFI? or replace the whole EFI folder with yours, in which case you don't have BOOTx64.efi so not sure if that works?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I can test this on my system but not sure how to integrate it with my EFI? Do I just copy the "System/..." folders into my EFI? or replace the whole EFI folder with yours, in which case you don't have BOOTx64.efi so not sure if that works?
yes, bootx64.efi was missing.

Was taking it from the oclp build folder what I assumed it was complete. Corrected the upload. Thx for the correction.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 61

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Select "Reboot" from the login screen 20x, and let us know if you experience any hangs.

I ran the tests,
also I dumped the Firmware and analyzed free space with my script.
As it was at 1444 free space (!) the next boot failed.

So the circular nvram garbage collection (what every Firmware with nvram in decent condition does) ran.

Was back to ~36000 free space and 11.3 booted again.

With every reboot the nvram gets a little more filled until close to full, circular nvram garbage collection ran automatically and I assume the next boot will fail. If this changes the "race condition" or something else, I dunno.

That seconds the experience that after a triple bong (manually triggering the nvram garbage collection) 11.3 will tend more to boot than to fail.

It's just my theory.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Sorry.....but this now sounds like a Hackintosh thread, if you have to jump through hoops after every update....... ?
The one thing I love about Macs, is they just work and there are no issues with drivers (like windoze).

Fixing one issue with nvme will probably then break something else.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
Sorry.....but this now sounds like a Hackintosh thread, if you have to jump through hoops after every update....... ?
The one thing I love about Macs, is they just work and there are no issues with drivers (like windoze).

Fixing one issue with nvme will probably then break something else.
Since Catalina a CMP has become a Hackintosh. If we like it or not.

I stay with Mojave. Fiddling with Catalina and Big Sur is for education and to support my customers.

Reactions: MPcDave

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany

I ran the tests again, this time I took care to set Startup Disk from the prefpane to the Big Sur 11.3 Disk.

I restarted more than 20 times, this time logging the nvram free space thru a complete nvram circle (from filled to full to garbage collection to the same filled situation) and it survived

that was a Sata SSD, Kepler, OCLP 0.1.2 on a Single CPU 4.1 with 144 reconstructed Firmware.

1 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.13.59.png

2 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.16.32.png
3 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.19.23.png
4 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.22.54.png

5 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.26.05.png
6 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.28.16.png

7 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.30.25.png

8 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.32.10.png

9 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.34.07.png

10 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.36.07.png

Attachments

• 5 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.26.05.png
    5 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.26.05.png
    145.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 8 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.32.10.png
    8 Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-02 um 15.32.10.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.