Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
Inspired by that G6 thread I was considering where the Macintosh operating system would be in ten years. Ten years ago, 1994, we were using Mac OS 7 and had been since the beginning of 1991. By contrast, here in 2004, we are using Mac OS X and some have been since the beginning of 2001. It's an evolution of OS that has taken 10 years almost exactly. Will Apple be able to continue to use the Mac OS X architecture long into the future? When will they have to build a next-generation OS? Will they have the funds and customer base to support another major OS transition?

What are your musings on where the Mac OS will be in another ten years?

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
I started a thread like this a while back.

In 10 years I think apple would have copyed sun's new kick ass 3d desktop manager (looking glass) and steve would call it innovation (assuming hes still ceo).

I would say by then the average install size for mac os would be 20-40 gigs. (of course microsoft is going way above that with longhorn). I would say at the current rate macs would be around 10% of the marketshare (assuming if apple does everything 100% correctly).

By then we will have a decent voice recognition app.

We will need to have so many windows and apps opened that expose will turn into a 3d doodad (maybe on a cube or sphere).

The ipod (this is not mac os....but go with me) will be obsolete as in 10 years they will have low cost storage devices similer to flash and several flash card mp3 players will get those and dominate the market. ITMS will also be obsolete.

in 10 years mac os will be fully 128 bit processor compatable for apple's new line of computers, the Macintosh128 O1 (macintosh 128 bit octal (spelling?) core processor . First generation) running at 200 ghz - it will be the worlds first low cost 128 bit PC as well as the worlds first 200 ghz PC processor.

And finally, in 10 years alladin (spelling) would have finally made a framework for os x so you can see the items inside compressed files without expanding it (like on windows xp and linux). Compression software will be able to compress 20 gigs worth the crud into a 500 meg file.

Ah yes, and the mac os software released alongside the Macintosh128 O1 will have min requirments of:
At least a 45 ghz processor
1 gig ram
45 gigs of space
and at least a 512 meg vram card for all the nifty eye candy.

BeoVir

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
I do not think it is very likely that OS X will still be the operating system. Simply because I believe in ten years hardware will have changed so much that we will need another new OS with all the 'modern' features built in.

By 'modern' features I imagine some type of bio integration, such as retinal scanning, or nerve pulse reading, or something that will get rid of the keyboard for everyday typing. Oh and of cause it will have to be a networked OS as our computers may no longer be a single cube on our desktop but a peripheral like a cell phone that wirelessly connects to our surroundings and gives us a greater ability to be productive and un-alone.

I think that the iPod will become more important to everyday life and that Mac OS X will actually be on it in some way. Our compters will be so integrated into what we do everyday that society will run from MS as they can not have their 'lives' crashing.

stoid

macrumors 601
Original poster
I don't know if all those processor predictions are terribly accurate. It would seem that in many ways the silicon chip revolution is nearing it's end. Chip manufacturing is slowing down in terms of the enormous speed boosts the last 5-8 years have shown. However, it will depend on how soon the quantum revolution starts. :D

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
stoid said:
I don't know if all those processor predictions are terribly accurate. It would seem that in many ways the silicon chip revolution is nearing it's end. Chip manufacturing is slowing down in terms of the enormous speed boosts the last 5-8 years have shown. However, it will depend on how soon the quantum revolution starts. :D

They will have figured out a way to access different universes (kinda like the book Timeline, but not as boring) and will develop a new version of Bluetooth so that your computer didn't have to be in the same universe as your Bluetooth mouse.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I think the main differences in the OS will be a result of new display technology that will bring 300+ ppi displays to the masses. As a result, all fonts and images will need to be readily manipulated to appear the proper size on screen. For example, the menubar will have to be "aware" of the type of monitor the user is using and adjust its size so the user can see it.

There will also need to be a portable version of the OS for users of portable devices to read "magazines" -- electronic, multimedia news sources. The portable OS will be necessary because these devices won't have hard drives, but they'll demand the same sort of power for multimedia that a desktop/notebook does.

Obviously security will be a huge issue, and there will be massive debates about whether to cripple the OS through DRM and virus-protection, or whether to leave security up to the end user.

ricebag

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
DavidLeblond said:
They will have figured out a way to access different universes (kinda like the book Timeline, but not as boring) and will develop a new version of Bluetooth so that your computer didn't have to be in the same universe as your Bluetooth mouse.

Plus they'll invent a way to use processors distant in both space and time, thus explaining my occasional otherwise inexplicable slowdowns on my computer... (Although why would they want to use a G3 iBook????? Silly people of the future)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
By 2015, we will be using completely wireless technologies as standard, with the exception of power cables. Our LCD monitors would be less than 1/4 of an inch thick. Our Hard Drives would have a built to order option of being made out of RAM instead of moving parts, but by then, we will have reinvented the RAM chip so to make it faster, cooler, and cheaper than our current ones. We would have fast DVD optical slots, but we would also have media chip slots on the surface of our Macs, since handheld RAM-based (or chip-based) chips no bigger than the palm of your hand would replace DVDs as the new fast, cooler (temperature-wise), and higher capacity storage (up 2TB on a single small chip for about $199). In addition, liquid cooling will have been rendered useless, for we will be using low-power and extra small refrigeration units inside of our Macs. We will be using no more than four processors in one machine by then. The top of the line PowerMac will still cost about $3000, but our monitors will have gotten much cheaper and a bit larger.

I wanted to say in the previous paragraph that our monitors would be based on electric paper, but that won't be standard until at least 2030. Currently (2004), electric paper can do just black and white.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
NusuniAdmin said:
And finally, in 10 years alladin (spelling) would have finally made a framework for os x so you can see the items inside compressed files without expanding it (like on windows xp and linux).
You can already see the contents of .sit, .sitx, etc. packages using Stuffit Deluxe.

... You ... did know about that ... right?

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
King Cobra said:
You can already see the contents of .sit, .sitx, etc. packages using Stuffit Deluxe.

... You ... did know about that ... right?

yes but i ment through the finder. Like on linux and windows u can see the comprssed files contents right from the main desktop thing.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
NusuniAdmin said:
yes but i ment through the finder. Like on linux and windows u can see the comprssed files contents right from the main desktop thing.

well, it doesn't do that on Linux or Windows. They call forth another app that looks like Explorer or Linux's file manager.

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
7on said:
well, it doesn't do that on Linux or Windows. They call forth another app that looks like Explorer or Linux's file manager.

actually i have even looked at the process viewer on KDE running under ydl, and it actually does open it through the file manager.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.