Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Hey, i've been playing around with an emulator for Windows (Basilisk II) and I'm trying to get it as far up to date as possible. The only problem is I don't have Os 8.0. Is there anywhere that I could get this? Thanks for any help!

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
thecow said:
Did you look on ebay?

Hmm... Maybe I should have mentioned I'm looking for a free version because this is really just for fun. Thanks anyway.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Chubypig said:
Hmm... Maybe I should have mentioned I'm looking for a free version because this is really just for fun. Thanks anyway.

wow i remember using basilisk II on my pentium 233mhz it was great... i made it startup when windows loaded. made the windows boot screen and dekstop and taskbar and all completely black and used mac os 8.1 pretty cool, i was so hardcore mac back then that i used it as my main os! os 8.1 on an emulator on a 233mhz pentium I good luck to you, btw i have a copy of 8.1 laying around, but u need the correct rom. i used a quadra 605 rom for that...

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
macrlz9 said:
wow i remember using basilisk II on my pentium 233mhz it was great... i made it startup when windows loaded. made the windows boot screen and dekstop and taskbar and all completely black and used mac os 8.1 pretty cool, i was so hardcore mac back then that i used it as my main os! os 8.1 on an emulator on a 233mhz pentium I good luck to you, btw i have a copy of 8.1 laying around, but u need the correct rom. i used a quadra 605 rom for that...

I got it running using mac os 7.5.5 on a mac quadra 900 rom. I can download os 8.1 from apple, but to instal it I need os 8.0. Anyone know where i might be able to download it? :eek:

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Chubypig said:
I got it running using mac os 7.5.5 on a mac quadra 900 rom. I can download os 8.1 from apple, but to instal it I need os 8.0. Anyone know where i might be able to download it? :eek:
I don't think it's freeware, sorry.

It should be, because it's not like Apple will make any money off of it. :cool:

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Freely downloadable versions of Mac system software

Low End Mac has some information about which versions of Mac system software are freely downloadable. I haven't checked the links provided on that page (though I used some of them a few years ago when I was trying out Basilisk myself). Unfortunately, Mac OS 8 does not seem to be free, nor even 7.6.1. So you may be stuck with 7.5.5 if you want it to be free and legal.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
ebow said:
So you may be stuck with 7.5.5 if you want it to be free and legal.

Yep, thats the most recent OS Apple offers for free download (and whats more, last time I checked, it was only a set of 23 1.4 MB disk images. Have fun).

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Apple has only released System software that is not PowerPC native. OS 8.1 was the last system to support 68040 processors. System 7.5.5 is the best you can get for free. 7.6 IIRC was for the PowerPC, not sure though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.