Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordiCe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2002
Hi,

I installed mac os x 10.2 on my G3, and when i started up
again in 8.5 i couldn`t det back too os x..
How do i do that??

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
You will need to boot from a CD probably. The latest versions of OS 9 include an enhanced startup disk control panel to allow you to select the OS X disk/folder. I don't think Apple support OS 8/ OS X dual boots so there is not a new control applet for OS 8.

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Hold down the 'X' key when you turn on/restart your computer until it boots into os X. I don't know if this works on all NewWorld mac's.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Nah I have an older G3 MiniTower and I find holding X or Option on startup does didly squat! I had to upgrade to at least 9.1 to get back to X and thats a problem when 9 freezes on startup, it was a pain in the @$$, but I got it to work... "Good luck, your gonna need it..." Han Solo

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
there is a key combination that i've forgotten, but I fyou hold it down it will force the computer to boot up on another system other than the one that is the startup disk. I used this on my beige g3 but I can't rmemebr what it was.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
yes it is the SODA keystroke...SHIFT-OPTION-DELETE-APPLE(commmand) :D It forces the computer to look for another way to startup throught all the connections liek external drives and internal drives. I like it, it saves my arse sometimes, lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.