Mac OS 8 not recognissing application

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jethryn Freyman, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've got 8.5 running in an emulator.

I had a few classic apps on an OS X Mac that had been working under the Classic Environment. I transferred them over into the emulator (SheepShaver), and OS 8 is detecting them as documents, not as applications.

Anybody seen this before?

If I install software, it works fine, but not if I copy it over. I don't have the original installer, but I do have the application in a .sit archive. I think it should be fine if I copy the archive over to OS 8, and then decompress it there. Problem here is, I can't find a download link to a version of Stuffit Expander that will run on OS 8 (I think I need version 4 or 5.)

2. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Yes, that should (must) work. MacOS classics files (apps, fonts, even documents) had some resource fork files, that can get lost, if you tranfer them to a non-macos classic environment.

3. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Turns out there's a copy of Expander included with the OS (version 4.5), but it isn't recognising .sit files as something it can open.

4. WatchSmart macrumors member

The version of SheepShaver that is available on the official site has a bug where files that are copied from OS X get corrupted and are unusable.

This version fixes that bug:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5275

Also, the file associations in the emulator sometimes get messed up. Not sure why this happens. Try browsing to the file you want to extract within Stuffit rather than just double-clicking on it. I have this problem with at least 10% of the stuffit archives I download.

And, lastly, as you might recall Stuffit has really poor backwards compatibility. You should try using Stuffit 5.5.