Mac OS 8 won't boot

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by thesdx, Aug 4, 2007.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

I finally got my hands on a copy of Mac OS 8. (Don't have the exact version) Anyway, I tried to boot it using SoftMac, which is emulating a Quadra 650. It shows the happy Mac symbol, and gets to the boot screen where the progress bar freezes at about 10%. I've given it the highest RAM possible and tried everything, but it simply won't boot. I'm not sure if this is the PowerPC only version or not. I don't think it is. If it needed a PowerPC, it probably wouldn't do anything. I've hardly ever used Mac OS 8, and don't know much about emulation. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

If this isn't authentic media (which would give you the actual version number), then there is a good chance that the media is missing things needed for mounting (like the invisible desktop folder and the like) because some programs that make copies of CDs won't copy that important stuff.

Besides, Mac OS 8 install CDs have the Mac OS 8 boot floppy images on the media. If this is 8.0 or 8.1, then it'll have an image for the 68k boot floppy. But I don't think that would solve the media mounting issue.

3. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i have a PPC running 8.0

try holding shift while booting to disable extensions. you may be missing some which is in turn causing it not to finish.

i had an issue like that booting bc i accidently allocated too much RAM to disk usage (w/ 64MB to start... oops!) and was able to boot on only 5, yes 5MB of RAM.

the good ole days!

hope this helps! keep us posted if you can.

4. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, but that didn't work. :( It still froze on bootup. Also, I tried giving it the lowest RAM possible (8MB), but it didn't do anything either.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Your best bet would be to completely forget about emulating a Mac, deleting that horrid SoftMac software immediately, and spending a few dollars on a real Power Mac.

6. sbluetruck macrumors regular

sbluetruck

i'd have to agree here, i got the mac in my sig for free from a fine arts school just replacing them. otherwise it would have cost me, eh, $20.
    it may look like **** compared to today's standards, but disabling extensions, it boots up in about 15 seconds to where it's fully operable.
    it's like an old iMac in the sense that it's all in the monitor. affordable and useful.

an old power pc isn't gonna set you back as much as trying to figure out that emulator. ;)

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

"PowerPC" labels on the case were equivalent to "Intel Inside" labels on PCs - not really indicative of anything other than manufacture sometime between 1994 and 1999. Being 225mhz narrows it down a bit, but could mean you have either a compact 5500 all-in-one or a nice big 6500 tower.

8. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

If its an all in one; its definitely a 5500. The performa was only a 200mhz.