Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I have finally gotten around to wiping my slow and unreliable Power Mac 8600/250. It just has bits of old software here and there such as unused extensions that case the system to take nearly 10-15 minutes to boot and slow in general. It is easier at this point to simply wipe and start again, keeping some of the important programs such as Rumpus and Office 2001 on a USB stick to be transferred over once OS 9 has finished being set up.

So here is what gave me pause. I of course formatted the old SCSI 4GB HDD before I reinstalled the OS, but I had to choose between Mac OS Standard and Mac OS Extended. I know the differences between to two quite well, so that is not what bothers me.

What does concern me is:

If my system is primarily Mac OS Extended, and it is the Hub of my AppleTalk/LocalTalk network, will this cause trouble with old systems seeing it on the network? e.g. 512Ke, Classic II. These systems can only use OS Standard ff course.

Now usually my PM 8600 was always Mac OS Standard, but because it was 4GB, it blew the minds of any Pre-System Macs I had. To get around this, I instead hosted a 120MB Mac OS Standard Image from the 8600 and they could then access that without an issue.

SO in conclusion, having selected Mac OS Extended as my main HDD File System, will I be okay to share to other old devices on my network as long as I continue to use a Mac OS Standard image as I have done so in the past?

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Not an expert on Apple networking but I always thought with networking that if both systems shared the same networking protocol then the actual FS on the hard drives was irrelevant in the way Windows boxes can talk to Linux boxes over SMB even if Windows has no EXT/x support installed.

Might be totally wrong, though.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
The file system doesn't matter for network sharing - it doesn't "share an HFS+ partition," it "shares files."

Perfect, it was only ever image size that was the worry so. That saves me having to format my main drive again.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.