Mac OS 9.2 drama

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miTunes75, Aug 21, 2010.

1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

My inflaws purchased an old imac. it had 10.2 on it...something happened...dunno what. as they don't understand much about computers at all, they did a re-installation and got it as far as 9.2. I don't know much about this OS and I cannot get the ethernet internet cable to work. What settings do I have to configure in order for it to go online?

THanks for the help.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I cry when I have to use MacOS prior to X.

Check those menus at the top left. Browsing through them will get you to a list of settings for each item, say display settings, keyboard settings. There should be something about networks in that conglomerate of poo, eff OS 9, eff it.

3. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

There is internet settings and I have entered all the data that I think it requires, but still nothing. I even went to the help function. It stated that all you gotta do is connect the cable modem and it'll automatically work. It worked just fine with 10.2 but 9.2 is not as friendly :(

4. VictoriaStudent macrumors regular

VictoriaStudent

is their computer on a network? if so, the network you are on might not support appletalk.

also, under extension manager...is the ethernet extension enabled?

in any case, give this a whirl:

Connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the Mac
    Boot the Mac
    Go to Control Panels > TCP/IP
    Set the following by selecting from the drop down menu:
    1. Connect via: Ethernet
    2. Configure: Using DHCP
    Click Options
    Check "Make TCP/IP active"
    Uncheck "Load only when needed"
    Click OK
    Close the window & Save changes

Back to the Control Panels > Appletalk
    Set Connect via: Ethernet
    Close window & Save changes

then, try opening your browser & see what happens. Should work. If it doesn't, try rebooting then try your browser again. If it -still- doesn't connect. Huh? is all I can say.

5. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK....now it's staying that I need to install AppleScript. Man....I just don't get it.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

LUL! Mac OS 9 is not to be "got" by anybody. Its sole purpose is the amusement of watching users try, futilely, to make it do something that they actually want it to do.

Sorry. I typically just close the iBook, place it farther than arm's length from me, then grip my hair and groan while holding back tears. Then I get back to OS X ^.^

Haz you tried Googlez?

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

OP, what are the specs of your iMac? I would use OSX 10.2 or later. OS 9 isn't user friendly. Also, I don't have much experience with OS 9, so I can't help.

MrCheeto,

Have you tried typing like an adult? WTF is LUL? Googlez... WTF is that? Its Google! And what kind of person cries if they can't use their favorite Operating System?

^^^ What type of person says things like that. Its not normal. Was it necessary for you to waste my time writing THAT UP? You are certainly not helping the OP.

You seem to be a bit too dramatic. Instead of being dramatic, why not HELP the OP? or just don't waste out time and yours by posting useless information?

8. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

[​IMG]

Wasted your time? Golly jeepers, I'm sorry to have forced you to read each and every word of my posts. Oh wait, that's not the case. The fact is you are incapable of logical thinking, such to the point that you're still reading this!!!

Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

[​IMG]

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

You actually typed like an adult there... except for the Bahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! crap. But good job. Your off to a start. Where those pictures necessary?

10. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Rather than complaining about the [intended] grammatical nuances of a thirteen-year-old, you should take a moment to hit the ole Webster's. Or, at least, the sixth-grade.

Pics is vüry necessüry.

[​IMG]