Mac OS 9 and Airport Express Printer

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by tevion5, Jun 3, 2014.

1. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I have a PowerMac 8600, a Canon S200x, and a large enough Airport network, including an Airport Express that is located near the 8600.

I have Mac OS9 drivers of the printer on the 8600 and using a usb cable between them printer is great.

However, I would like my other computers to be able to use this printer. When the Canon is hooked up to the Airport Express, all my 2002-2014 PC's and Mac's can use it no issue.

But now, my PowerMac 8600 does not see it in the chooser, or in USB Printer Sharing under "local network".

Bearing in mind that there is a CAT5e between the 8600 and the Airport Express and the printer is hooked up to that particular base station, is there anyway I can get the 8600 to use the printer this way? Any ideas?

Canon S200x
    Power Macintosh 8600 w/USB Card
    2nd Gen Airport Express (most recent)

(8600 happily hosts an Appletalk server for my Classic II and 512Ke and also can network to other modern macs and get internet access over my Airport network)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Airport devices share it over Bonjour. I don't think OS 9 support Bonjour/Rendezvous printers.