Mac OS 9 and X on sam network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Buzz Bumble, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Buzz Bumble Guest

Is it possible to have a Mac OS 9 computer using the same network and Internet connection as a Mac OS X (10.5 or 10.6) computer?

At the moment I've got a beige G3 minitower running Mac OS 9 and this hopelessly s-l-o-w old Windows computer both completely separate and using a dial-up Internet connection (the same dial-up, so only one at a time).

I want to ditch the Windows computer completely and replace it with a new MacBook Pro 13", and at the same time get a router-modem for broadband Internet. The MacBook would connect wirelessly while the beige G3 would use a wired Ethernet connection. (They won't be sharing files, printers, etc. until the beige G3 is replaced with an iMac, probably next year.)

I know that setting up the router-modem will have to be done from Mac OS X, but would the two different Mac OS versions be able to use the same network? Or will it cause problems?

2. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

The only problem will be connecting OS 9 to a new router in my opinion. You obviously don't want a new Airport Station, since they require some version of OS X.

Once both the G3 and the MacBook are connected I doubt there should be any problems. As far as I know, you can even share files, but the newer system has to access the older system.