Mac os 9/classic

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blazerbro79, Oct 19, 2009.

1. blazerbro79 macrumors newbie

I wanted to load some old games that i have and they require mac 9/classic. Of coarse, the computer i have dosnt have it on it and i dont have the disc the computer came with. I have been looking high and low on the internet and stores and have found nothing. I have been told that if i load leopard on my mac that i CANT use os9. So... am i able to get this disc somewhere or is there a possible alternative to os9, since there is no "free" download of anything older on the apple website.

2. Buzz Bumble Guest

On newer Intel Macs the only way to run the older "Classic" versions of the Mac OS is via the emulator SheepShaver.

There are three problems though.

First you need a ROM image from an old PowerPC Mac, which is technically illegal to do even if you own the PowerPC Mac.

Secondly, you need to install Mac OS 9. You can't legally download this from anywhere (Apple only have up to System 7.5 for free on their servers), so would have to buy a copy from somewhere like eBay or the expensive HardcoreMac.com webstore ... it's probably cheaper simply to buy an old PowerPC Mac!

Thirdly, last time I looked, SheepShaver can't run Mac OS 9 anyway. It can only run up to Mac OS 8.6(?), at least officially.

3. Kristenn macrumors 6502

Here is Mac os 9 running on my mactel with SL. Its my disk but my friend put together Sheepshaver for me so it might not be legal =O

Attached Files:

4. blazerbro79 thread starter macrumors newbie

the problem is i dont have a intel-mac and i tried sheepshaver and it did nothing for me. My buddy has the same computer i do (emacG4) and was gonna borrow me his disc and save me a huge hassle... but of coarse, he lost it. So im thinking im just wasting my time...

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

G3 iMacs and Powermacs literally cost nothing these days. I know its not an answer to your question, but it just might save you a ton of trouble just to pick up a system that natively supports the classic OS.