Mac OS 9 flash

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 76ShovelHead, Jul 29, 2010.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I've been wondering, how does Youtube and other sites that require flash perform under Mac OS 9?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm going to say, no, on this. Because even Google.com looks bizarre on Mac OS 9.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

They don't work. I've got all the last Flash player plugins and whatnot on my 9 Machines, and it doesn't play. Its all too old.

4. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Perhaps it's the Browser? I do know that the last updated browser like 2007 was iCab... I don't have any OS 9 Macs (last one upgraded to 10.2) so i cant test it.

5. drewdle macrumors regular

Unfortunately, it's got nothing to do with the browsers themselves, but the plugin authors.

This is one of the cornerstone reasons for Apple supporting HTML5 development. Most video online requires Flash, and Adobe dropped support for Mac OS 9 development better than six years ago. Thus, even though there are few browsers that work passably in OS 9 (Classilla is a good one that's in active development, iCab was good when it was updated regularly), Flash support is gone. If HTML5 had been developed as the standard and adopted by web browsers long ago, then your OS 9 system would likely be able to handle internet video.

There is hope though, I figure. If the guys writing Classilla integrate HTML5 support, then internet video may actually work under OS 9. Not all of it mind you, but at least some of it, which is better than nothing. You could also try browsing Mobile Youtube (http://www.m.youtube.com). That page launches all of it's videos in a separate QuickTime window, but I'm not sure if it'll work with the last version of QT for OS 9, which is also long in the tooth.