Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyMacWentBad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I am trying to install Mac OS 9 on Windows Vista, however, all the files on the CD appear hidden. Can anyone help?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I think you need to post a bit more info - I assume you're using SheepShaver, and have got it properly installed complete with Boot Rom? (You should probably be aware that the Windows version of SS is rather flaky btw - and, at least in theory, only supports 98, 2000 and XP. If you want to use it on Vista, all bets are off).

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
... I am sure there are many other reasons why your install didn't work.

oh my, not sure I want to touch this one.

Orng

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2007
For those of you who don't know what he's saying, I think what he's trying to say, is that he wants to upgrade from Vista to OS9.

Which I think is perfectly reasonable and accurate, and hey, if you want to buy an awesome G3 Powerbook already running OS9, let me know! :)

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I think you need to post a bit more info - I assume you're using SheepShaver, and have got it properly installed complete with Boot Rom? (You should probably be aware that the Windows version of SS is rather flaky btw - and, at least in theory, only supports 98, 2000 and XP. If you want to use it on Vista, all bets are off).

I am not entirely confident from the tone of the first post that the OP is capable of setting up a cygwin environment, let alone compile Sheepshaver to run under Vista.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I am not entirely confident from the tone of the first post that the OP is capable of setting up a cygwin environment, let alone compile Sheepshaver to run under Vista.

LOL - you might have a point there.... :p

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I was going to suggest BasiliskII, but I don't know if that tops out at System 7.5, which is all I ever ran on it. Cute, but pointless in the end.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I was going to suggest BasiliskII, but I don't know if that tops out at System 7.5, which is all I ever ran on it. Cute, but pointless in the end.

Yep, Basilisk only emulates 680x0 CPUs. If you need PPC (which you do for OS9), then SheepShaver is the only option I know of...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.