Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KawaiiAurora

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
Europa
So, as some of ya might have seen, I've been able to force OS 9.2.2 on my PowerBook G4 Al 17" 1GHz thanks to a pendrive and the DVD provided by Mac OS 9Lives.

Everything is working fine except for the Airport card (expected as Airport Extreme isn't supported on 9) and Ethernet (quite odd as System Profiler detects a network cable - works under 10.5.8 of course).

The sound issue is as follows: Without any headphones in the 3.5mm jack, I get no sound but with headphones in the 3.5mm jack, I get sound from both the internal speakers and my headphones.. Anybody had this issue or knows how to fix it? I'd be happy to get a solution to get the headphones only when I have them connected ;)

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Aurora

Without Headphones (no sound from anywhere):
image.jpeg

With Headphones (sound from headphones + speakers):
image.jpeg

Ethernet status:
image.jpeg

Last edited:

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
When installing an OS on unsupported hardware you can almost always expect problems. IDK about the Ethernet, but I'd expect there's no driver that works well with the PB speakers.

Awhile ago, I was reading through the thread for the unsupported Mac OS 9 installer, and I think someone had some information on sound drivers. Read through it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So, as some of ya might have seen, I've been able to force OS 9.2.2 on my PowerBook G4 Al 17" 1GHz thanks to a pendrive and the DVD provided by Mac OS 9Lives.

Everything is working fine except for the Airport card (expected as Airport Extreme isn't supported on 9) and Ethernet (quite odd as System Profiler detects a network cable - works under 10.5.8 of course).

The sound issue is as follows: Without any headphones in the 3.5mm jack, I get no sound but with headphones in the 3.5mm jack, I get sound from both the internal speakers and my headphones.. Anybody had this issue or knows how to fix it? I'd be happy to get a solution to get the headphones only when I have them connected ;)

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Aurora

Without Headphones (no sound from anywhere):
View attachment 695300
With Headphones (sound from headphones + speakers):
View attachment 695301
Ethernet status:
View attachment 695302

You have a Self-Assigned IP address. Which means no access to the internet.

In the TCP/IP Control Panel what does it say as far as IP address assignment? If it's DHCP then try manually assigning an IP address in the IP range your router uses.

Reactions: ak-78 and ziggy29

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast

You have a Self-Assigned IP address. Which means no access to the internet.

In the TCP/IP Control Panel what does it say as far as IP address assignment? If it's DHCP then try manually assigning an IP address in the IP range your router uses.
I use a wireless Ethernet bridge fairly frequently on my old PPC Macs and I see the same thing. Sometimes I can unplug the Ethernet cable and reinsert it, and it gives me a good IP. Sometimes it self-assigns again. Sometimes I have to reboot the bridge and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But that's when I am trying to use DHCP. I don't know why that sometimes fails, but when I manually assign an IP -- in the range of something like 192.168.1.65 to 192.168.1.255 (not sure why but that is what my router expects) -- and set the netmask (in my case, 255.255.255.0) and router (in my case, 192.168.1.254) -- it works as long as I'm careful not to assign an IP that I suspect might be in use by another device on the network.

Reactions: ak-78 and eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I use a wireless Ethernet bridge fairly frequently and I see the same thing. Sometimes I can unplug the Ethernet cable and reinsert it, and it gives me a good IP. Sometimes it self-assigns again. Sometimes I have to reboot the bridge and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But that's when I am trying to use DHCP. I don't know why that sometimes fails, but when I manually assign an IP -- in the range of something like 192.168.1.65 to 192.168.1.255 (not sure why but that is what my router expects) -- and set the netmask (in my case, 255.255.255.0) and router (in my case, 192.168.1.254) -- it works as long as I'm careful not to assign an IP that I suspect might be in use by another device on the network.
We had DNS resolution go out on our router about a year or more ago. Everyone could access the network because DHCP was still working, but no one could access the internet. So, I was manually running around assiging IP addresses and redirecting the DNS lookup to Google.

Turns out our router needed to be rebooted. :rolleyes:

However, after going back months later and pushing everything back to DHCP, I left the DNS lookup on Google. If our router ever goes sideways like that again it won't be an issue.

Reactions: ak-78
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.