Mac OS Boots in 5 seconds, Windows in 1 minute?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LelandT50, Jan 7, 2013.

1. LelandT50 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've got a MBP 8,1, and I just upgraded it to 16GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. The Mac OS X side boots in like 4-5 seconds, I'd have to say that performance is noticeably faster too. On the other hand, my Bootcamp (on the SSD too) partition running Windows 7 takes about a minute to boot up, and isn't nearly as quick as the Mac OS side. Without getting into a rant about how this means Apple is better than M$, can anyone tell me what might be going on? Before I installed the SSD, boot times were both bad, probably about a minute on each side, but Windows was definitely faster. Thanks!

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Part of it is Boot Camp. On a native Windows PC with SSD, Windows 7 would boot in about 20 seconds or so, and Windows 8 in about the same time as OS X. However, Boot Camp has to emulate a BIOS (Windows 7 and 8 support EFI, but not Apple's implementation of it). That adds to the startup time.

3. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

aside that your SSD is running in IDE mode, thus its slower.

the 8.1 is the mbp 13 2011, you can install windows via UEFI, its best if you go for win 8, instead of win 7, as there are others benefits under the hood.

that will let your run win in achi mode, and you will have a very much slower start up time.

4. LelandT50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys! How would I go about installing windows via UEFI? I had some issues installing Windows on this machine. After numerous failed attempts to perform a bootcamp install from a flash drive and USB DVD drive, I eventually had to remove my HDD Caddy in the DVD bay and put in the DVD drive to load Windows. (Reason I mention the install woes is b/c I'm wondering if its because I didn't install windows via UEFI?) Would the UEFI install require a different copy of windows? I'm hesitant to move to Windows 8 because I've only heard bad things (except what you guys just told me), but I do have a copy of Win 8 Pro I may try if I can't get 7 to speed up.

5. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Is it Windows 7 SP1?

Your Windows partition may be mis-aligned and not on a 4k boundary.

6. LelandT50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Win 7x64 Sp1 Ultimate. --and yes the disc installs 7 sp1 / I didn't update to sp1

7. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

I have an SSD and an HDD with windows on the HDD(7200rpm). It boots in less than an a minute. Being on an SSD it should boot much faster than a minute. I would delete the partition in the bootcamp assistant and install it again.

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its basically a whole different can of worms, you installed via bootcamp

the process is complicated btw, google UEFI install windows 7 mbp

9. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Blame it on Windows. My rMBP can boot into OS X in seconds. I just installed Win7 on it. It still boots ridiculously fast, but it's closer to around 15-20 seconds

10. LelandT50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well from what I've read, it seems like to install windows 7 natively via uefi I'd have to forfeit the OS X partition on the drive. Virtualization within OS X is beginning to sound more appealing. Does anyone know if I can natively boot windows 8 via uefi from one partition, and have Mac OS on another partition (same drive)?

11. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

actually you dont need to forfeit anything, but yes, its easier to install using win 8

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1426959

the most problematic part is the GPT logic partition that wont work with windows, but format it using windows and it works like a charm

12. LelandT50 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks MM, I took a quick look at the thread and the install does not seem trivial. Nevertheless, I may try it anyways. My one major complaint is that I have to open up my MacBook 8,1, and put the DVD drive back in to load windows (This is what I had to do to install Windows 7). Will windows 8 and WinPE boot from USB on my system? If not, does anyone know a way to force my machine to boot Windows discs from USB or external DVD? I'm sure I've got the USB keys set up right, I've been installing windows on PCs from USB keys for years now -- I even modified the bootcamp setup utility to make a USB installer for me, but it wouldn't work either. I've tried rEFIt, and that doesn't seem to offer me any other options. Anyways guys, thanks again for all the help!

13. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I have 2 methods for that

1) is to modify the files of the bootcamp app
    2) is to use rEFIt

aside that holding option at the grey screen will net you the bootable devices available in the machine, I could actually install win 8 from a SD card. it wasnt pleasant mind you.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My Samsung Series 9 boots Windows 7 x64 Ultimate in 6 seconds. It doesn't even have time to fully start that "Starting Windows" screen at boot.

It's not Windows.

15. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

imagine how fast that will be when you install win 8? the boot times on that windows are much faster usually.

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

That's because it hibernates while calling it shutdown. You can disable that, because the only reason you really want to shut down is to restart.

Trust me, I've owned a few Windows 8 machines.