Mac OS Extended File System; Questions about datafiles/backup-checking/dates.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mackristoffer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mackristoffer macrumors newbie

Good Day.

I am using a Macbook Pro, Snow Leopard.
    I have some external hard-drives that i encrypt with Truecrypt 6.3.
    Creating and mounting the encrypted volumes work fine, the mounted volume pops up as a read/write ready volume.

This is the first time I use the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system and hence the questions.
    I have good experience with backup using explorer and teracopy in the NTFS environment.

I am used to double check if a copy have been successful by getting the information and seeing that the total file-size, number of folders and files match up to the original folder.

Three Questions:
    If i copy 1TB of assorted media, will the exact same number of files/bytes/folders be represented in destiny folder when I see the information?
    Is there any database/thumbnail files generated and stored any place on the external HDD?
    Will the file system change the "Last edited" date on the folders when copied from a NTFS disk?

The yet-to-decide-quality-of copy-handler I am currently using is MiniCopier. If anyone has recommendations on alternatives, I am pleased to hear about them:)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

God dag!

Probably not.

Yes. Mac OS X generates hidden (to you) files called .DS_Store containing directory view info and such. It also saves some data in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.

I'm really not sure. Probably, yes.

You know you'll need to have MacFUSE and NTFS-3G (or other third-party drivers) installed for read/write access to NTFS, yeah?

Carbon Copy Cloner is a good bet.

3. mackristoffer thread starter macrumors newbie

God Dag^^ Har du kjennskap til Noreg/Norsk?

Thank you for your replies, it has answered all my questions.

It looks like I will not be using my Mac as primary backup-manager.

The file number counts as the same, but I figured a file with some bytes was stored in each folder since the "last editet" tag on the folders changed from their original date to "Today" often time. When I copy a folder from a destination to another, each folder gain some extra bytes. Your post confirmed it, and explained it:)

The attributes on a given file is mostly the same when i Move them around, with the exeption to "Folder last editet", but that is not that important as long as the files stay intact.

I just tested, and found out that MiniCopier removed the original data!
    I do not Reccomend MiniCopier for handling files. That is a grievous error.

I have downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner instead, thank you for the advise:)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ja, jeg studerer norsk i universitetet nå. I'm only in my first year, though.

5. mackristoffer thread starter macrumors newbie

Fortreffelig.

Not often you see people studying Norwegian from other countries. You will become one of only 5,000,000+ that can speak it:) Only some hundred thousand speak it outside Norway.

I suppose you are coming to Norway. I am really curious to why learning the language if not.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

All of my grandparents emigrated from Norway to Canada as children. I haven't been yet, but I most certainly will. :)