Mac OS Font Rendering

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DonDaws, Aug 9, 2019.

1. DonDaws macrumors newbie

So I just got my Mac Mini 2018 and hooked it up to my Asus ROG PG348Q 3440 x 1440 monitor, and was very surprised by how bad the font rendering is compared to Windows.

I have both computers hooked up via Displayport and Windows 10 is crystal clear, while on the Mac it looks ok where font smoothing is applied, but Clean My Mac for example looks like this:

[​IMG]

I've found something about sub pixel antialiasing was disabled in Mojave, and followed the guide I found here: https://www.howtogeek.com/358596/how-to-fix-blurry-fonts-on-macos-mojave-with-subpixel-antialiasing/

Didn't help, I also tested all the different font smoothing options.

Is there anything else I can do, other than getting a 4k monitor? It shouldn't look this bad?

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 68000

AllergyDoc

I had an older Asus monitor that looked awful on Sierra and High Sierra. I had to install a patch, put it worked. Something else I tried, learned on this forum, was this:

defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

-int 2 can be changed to 1,2,3,0

3. DonDaws thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, yeah I've tried all the different font smoothing options, still looks fuzzy regardless. What kind of patch did you install?

4. DonDaws thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't fix it either unfortunately :( It only made my monitor go to 60Hz instead of 100hz. I guess Windows' ClearType rendering is just a lot clearer than Mac OS if you don't have a 4k HiDPI monitor. Bummer.

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 68000

AllergyDoc