MAC OS FULL 20gb of hidden files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shaktimage, Mar 18, 2012.

1. shaktimage macrumors member

My HD is getting filled with hidden files. If I compare it with my 1st Time Machine back up, it's all the same but with 20Gb extra... If i "get info"of each files (applications, library, system ) it is all the same except "users"so i open "users", there is 2 files, "shared" and "me" NOW look: if i open every folder inside "me" (application, desktop, documents,download...) IT IS ALL THE SAME AMOUNT OF GB BUT IF I "GET INFO" OF THE "ME" OF THE 1ST TIME MACHINE BACKUP AND TODAY THERE IS 20GB DIFFERENCE!
    My Question: what is it? How can i see these 20gb of files and remove them???
    THANKS!

----------

did i mentioned that i have a 15"MBP quadcore with Lion

2. simsaladimbamba

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use Omnidisksweeper It will detail your disk utilization sorted by size. Then you can determine where your space went

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Before you remove them you may want to determine if they are needed by Lion - they may be hidden for a reason; for example some may be the user library files, while others are simply local backups that can be safely deleted but will return due to the nature of Time Machine. You can disable this feature - google Lion OSX Local backup.

5. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

6. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

Attached Files:

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

The local backups get deleted after about a week, or earlier if space is neede. Time machine cleans up after itself.

The last screenshot you posted would indicate that the backup was removed. You could also delete /.MobileBackups , at your own risk!

8. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

YES, i would love to delete that bloody mobilebackup. My disc is full! (doesn't look removed to me?) Note that i use only 15Gb, all the rest is the backup!

9. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

look:

Attached Files:

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

11. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

Woao! What a post! Thank you for all these infos. I will keep trying things, and hope that it will disappear after a week. Worse case i will just reformat... I still have close to 50Gb of mysterious "others" ...:eek:

12. shaktimage thread starter macrumors member

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
    It drove me nuts, so what i did is restore my computer to the 1st backup after installing all my applications then i updated the data that i had saved. It was fast, now my HD has 34Gb free instead of....4

So i made a tutorial so i will remember next time, I thought i could share it here...

restore the computer to "1st day pristine state"

1) Make sure you have done a Time Machine Backup on your external HD right after your all your applications are installed and updated, permissions verified, the whole package rebooted. Then NOTE the ref. of his precious back up and NEVER let Time Machine fill up your external HD and delete the older backup. You want to control that, in order to NOT delete that particular backup

2) make sure you have disable the automatic mobile backup by typing in the terminal: sudo tmutil disablelocal and never turn on the Time Machine switch, you can backup manually by clicking on the time machine icon on the menu bar

3) save tour data, bookmarks, contacts, preferences of some upgraded applications (just in case)

3) Turn off your computer, turn it on and press / hold the option key. Choose the recovery disc and restore from the backup you have saved (1st day pristine state)

4) when this is done, update your applications and install new ones if needed, verify permissions, reboot and make a new backup with Time Machine. Take note of its ref. It is your new "1st day state" backup you want to save for the next time

Well, i am not a computer gig, this tutorial may be far from perfect but it did worked for me and it allow me to always have a fresh and clean computer with little effort

Attached Files: