Mac OS has Folder w/?, but Windows works fine!??? Help please!! :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidg4781, Sep 14, 2008.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Ok, I need some help here. My MacBook was running a bit weird, and I was about to restart it when I decided to check iStat nano pro, or whatever it's called. After I went into Dashboard, it totally froze. I could move the cursor around, but couldn't get out of Dashboard nor could I click on anything in Dashboard. I did hear a ding from Yahoo, so that was still working. I tried all the shortcuts to shut it down, and again nothing, so I used the power button to turn it off.

When it came back on, I had the Folder with a question mark on it. That flashed a couple times, and it booted into Windows (Bootcamp). If I hold down the option key, the only option I have is Windows. In Windows, if I pick to restart in Mac OS X, I get "Could not locate the Mac OS X boot volume."

I called Apple, and they had me reset the PRAM, and still nothing. I've made an appointment with a Genius tomorrow, but it's 2 hours away and I'd like to not make that drive (although my a/c in my car is working now! :D).

Are there any other suggestions to help? What I've read on here, the folder thing means the hard drive is dead, but I'm using Windows fine. I also have the original HDD from the MacBook, a 60GB one in a USB enclosure, if that will help any.

2. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, so, here's an update. The Mac OS X Partition isn't mounted. When I try to mount it, Disk Utility says it can't, and to run First Aid. When I run Repair Disk, it says "Filesystem verify or repair failed" and in the detail window, it says...
    Invalid B-tree node size
    Volume check failed
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed

If Windows is working, wouldn't that mean the hard drive is still good? I'm trying to run TechTool Deluxe to see if it can fix it. If not, is there any way to get my data off there? I know, I know, I didn't back up, but, it's still there, all that's missing is, I'm assuming, some file, telling it what needs to be done.