Mac OS keeps freezing! Please help!

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ShortyDK85, Sep 21, 2014.

1. ShortyDK85 macrumors member

Hey, mates :)

I really hope ya'll can help me out, I really don't know what to do... Recently my iMac (v.10.9.4) started freezing up for no apparent reason. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, how much ram I have left, which programs I am running, it just freezes up!

I searched for similar cases, and tried out some possible solutions, such as looking at my ram usage, activity monitor, hard drive space and such... I have the following info:

HDD:
    Capacity: 499,25 GB.
    Available: 128,44 GB.
    Used: 370,77 GB.

CPU:
    [​IMG]

MEMORY:
    [​IMG]

DISC:
    [​IMG]

As I do not receive any error message or anything like that when it freezes, there is nothing to copy/paste. I could just reinstall, but my Time Machine does not have enough time to backup my hard drive before it freezes, which means I can't save my data - ergo, I can't very well format and reinstall :(

Really hope somebody can help! Thanks a bunch!

Best regards,
    Shorty

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like you have plenty of memory and nothing is going wild with CPU usage.

A failing drive often causes these symptoms. Try a command-r boot to recovery and do a verify disk. Does that show any errors?

Have you recently installed any new hardware or software that may have caused this? If it just started out of the blue with no hardware or software changes, my bet would be a bad drive.

3. ShortyDK85, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

I've now tried a verify disc, but no errors were found :( I recently updated Mac OS along with a few apps, and as far as I recall that is when the freeze-problem started happening...

[​IMG]

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try booting to safe mode. That bypasses and login or startup items for testing. If the problem goes away in safe mode that tells you it is a startup or login item causing the issue.

5. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

I have now been running in safe mode for over 50 minutes, so it would appear it has something to do with the login items... Any ideas as to how I identify the program in question

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just trial and error by removing a few at a time. Run the app Etrecheck and it will give you a complete list of startup and login items and where they are and you can work from that list.

7. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

Any ideas on how to remove the startup items? I know that I can find login items in System Preferences, Users, Login items, but don't know about startup items?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They can be in several different folders. Here is an article that describes them all.

What might be easier is just use Etrecheck I linked to get a list of them, then use the free file search app iFileX to search for them and delete them that way.

Make sure you do a full backup before you do this in case you mess things up. :)

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Disk Utility absolutely sucks in detecting HDD failures.

In my case, when a HDD went south on me, it first displayed lagging symptoms, intermittent successes in booting, but DU didn't show anything.

And one day, it just totally went south without showing any error messages.

I've since replaced it with an SSD and it boots in just 11 seconds now.

10. ShortyDK85, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014

ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with a defective disc, since I was able to run for an hour in safe mode without any problems and it ALWAYS crashes around the 30-min. mark in regular mode...

It is the Launch Agents and Launch Daemons I need to concern myself with, right? Copy from EtreCheck:

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes exactly. The fact it happens in regular mode and does not happen in safe mode pretty much proves it is a startup/login item causing the problem.

Now you just need to start removing these to pinpoint the offender.

I would start with all the Sophos and Peerguardian stuff first if it was me.

12. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

I removed alle four of my login items, and now the computer have been running for over 2 hours :O Seems like that did the trick... Now I can start adding them again, one by one until I find the faulty item :)

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

13. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

Damn! I thought that was the end of it, but now it started again, despite having removed all of the login items :( Guess I gotta delve into the startup items...

14. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

This may be a stupid question, but can't I just delete all .plist files?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Oh no... you don't wanna do that. :eek:

There are about one bajillion plists that contain settings for everything on your Mac, like for Mail, Calendar etc.

There is no easy way to do this other than tracking then down one by one.

16. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

Hehe, fair enough then :p So I think I'm just gonna track down and delete all the .plist items from Launch Daemons, Launch Agents and User Launch Agents - of course after I've made a full backup. That sound better?

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Whew... :D Yes, much better.

It sure would be nice if Apple provided a pref pane or someplace where all these are listed and you could just click to remove them.

18. ShortyDK85 thread starter macrumors member

Hehe, that would have been great, but on the other hand that means that they would have to admit that there was a need to find the .plist files - ergo that there was something wrong with their OS or the communication between OS and a program :rolleyes: I don't see that happening :D