Mac OS learning curves

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Glennster, May 25, 2014.

1. Glennster macrumors regular

Just going from a PC to a Mac and love it! However, it's a bit of a learning curve so hopefully someone can provide some insight:

1) on a PC it's easy to see what apps are running as they are minimized. What is the Mac equivalent to apps running that are minimized?

2) I have 2 email accounts and want to view them just like the ipad shows them re separately - current my Mac combines the two.

3) using the track pad how do I select everything in a folder and delete?

4) how does the trackpad differ from the usual PC trackpad?

5) how do I maintain my battery to get max life out of it and when should I plug in to charge? 5% left? 10% left...?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

1. Look in the bottom right of your Dock, the bar at the bottom of the screen. When you minimize an app it goes to the left of the Trash.

2. In Mail, in the top left there is a "Show" button. Click it. You should now be able to select what Inbox you want to view.

3. Click and drag over all the files just like in Windows. Then drag to the Trash can icon in bottom right.

4. There are special gestures like 2 finger scroll, 2 finger click, and other gestures.

5. Treat the battery as you would but avoid consistently running it out of juice to zero. Once in a while is okay.

3. denilol macrumors member

in the dock section of system preferences, check 'show indicator lights for open applications'.

the lights (basically little dots) will remain on when the app is minimized.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Any time an app is running the dot will show. Essentially, until you Quit an app it will show that light. When you "X" out of a program on Windows it closes, when you X (Red Button) out of a program on a Mac it is still running.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should be helpful:
    https://www.apple.com/support/osx/
    https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/
    In OS X, most of the running apps will appear on the Dock with a "light" under them. Command-Tab will alternate between apps.
    If you set up your mail accounts properly, you can either view a consolidated Inbox, or view Inboxes separately for each account. The same is true for other folders (Drafts, Sent, etc.)
    The keyboard would be quicker: Command-A to select all, then Command-Delete to delete.
    Same concept, with some different gestures. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11377
    Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

6. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs