Mac Os Leopard restore disks not working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Patman100, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Patman100 macrumors newbie

hello,
    I have a white macbook with a 160 gb drive, 2 gigs of ram, and 2.4 processor, and i have been having problems with leopard recently and i want to add a new HD, so i would need the DVD's to restore leopard in both cases, well just to try out the DVD's i put it in, and then i clicked the appropriate icon to install and then i clicked on restart as the on screen instructions told me, only when it restarted it would stay at the apple symbol and grey screen for almost 10 minutes, and i would try again and again. i don't think it is the optical drives fault because to rule that out i tried our imacs restore DVD's and i was able to get to the language screen unlike with the macbook screen. The macbook discs are a bit scratched up, i left them out one weekend and well bad news for them, but even with the scratched the macbook was able to read them with finder, i just wasn't able to get to installer after the restart. Am i going to have to buy a new mac os leopard disc from apple? will they give me new ones? Is there a limit on the restore DVD's because i have done this once before. Some more info, these are genuine apple discs that came with the MacBook. Thanks in advance.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Are the discs scratched? Are they 100% definitely the discs that came with your Mac when you purchased it?

3. Patman100 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes they are scratched and they are 100% mine, i didn't buy them off someone else, nor did i pirate them and burn it, i got them with the macbook, and the macbook was new 2, so not refurbished

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sounds like they are too scratched up.

Try third party scratch repairing kits, or just buy a new set.

Just because the system can read the file structures, doesn't mean files are not damaged from the scratches and are unusable.

5. Patman100 thread starter macrumors newbie

how much does a new set cost? and are they at the apple store?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You have to call apple 800 number, as they don't usually keep any at the local stores.

7. Patman100 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Would you please let me know if you can get them and how? My iMac's disks are not working and I REALLY need a restore.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

they charge about $20 each, so about $40. Just call Apple and they will send you the same disks you got when you bought the system.

10. Patman100 thread starter macrumors newbie

just called apple, they are sending both disc's over to us for free

11. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Sweet! That's good to hear. Did you by chance pay for the 3 yr Applecare?

12. Patman100 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, we don't have any applecare on the macbook, so i was surprised