Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patman100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
hello,
I have a white macbook with a 160 gb drive, 2 gigs of ram, and 2.4 processor, and i have been having problems with leopard recently and i want to add a new HD, so i would need the DVD's to restore leopard in both cases, well just to try out the DVD's i put it in, and then i clicked the appropriate icon to install and then i clicked on restart as the on screen instructions told me, only when it restarted it would stay at the apple symbol and grey screen for almost 10 minutes, and i would try again and again. i don't think it is the optical drives fault because to rule that out i tried our imacs restore DVD's and i was able to get to the language screen unlike with the macbook screen. The macbook discs are a bit scratched up, i left them out one weekend and well bad news for them, but even with the scratched the macbook was able to read them with finder, i just wasn't able to get to installer after the restart. Am i going to have to buy a new mac os leopard disc from apple? will they give me new ones? Is there a limit on the restore DVD's because i have done this once before. Some more info, these are genuine apple discs that came with the MacBook. Thanks in advance.

Patman100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
yes they are scratched and they are 100% mine, i didn't buy them off someone else, nor did i pirate them and burn it, i got them with the macbook, and the macbook was new 2, so not refurbished

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The macbook discs are a bit scratched up, i left them out one weekend and well bad news for them, but even with the scratched the macbook was able to read them with finder, i just wasn't able to get to installer after the restart.

Sounds like they are too scratched up.

Try third party scratch repairing kits, or just buy a new set.

Just because the system can read the file structures, doesn't mean files are not damaged from the scratches and are unusable.

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Would you please let me know if you can get them and how? My iMac's disks are not working and I REALLY need a restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.