Mac OS Lion is being an internet hog. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ThE.MeSsEnGeR, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

Ever since I updated to Lion it's been a very smooth ride, amazing features.

The only bug that I've found and it's really getting on my nerves, is that I would be working in safari, suddenly pages become sluggishly slow, my MSN logs out, and the Twitter app will stop getting new tweets.

I have the iStat PRO widget, and after quitting all those applications and having literary NOTHING running in the background, I still see a constant high bandwidth download still running. It's making my connection REALLY slow and unworkable with, but my main problem is that my home network has a limited bandwidth, so my cap is being used for no reasons.

I unchecked the "download updates automatically" and "check for updates" in Software Update in System Preferences (plus, I don't need updates, all my software and OS is running up to date).

Please! I would appreciate any help!
    Thank you.

2. ThE.MeSsEnGeR thread starter macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I'm not a user of the software, but you might give "Little Snitch" a shot at finding the perpetrator.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You may have low RAM. Do you also have adblock extension? It hogs some serious memory with Safari.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

hmmm… i doubt adblock would use up more memory than the ads it is blocking

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Go to a gawker site and watch the memory. 200MB per visit instance. No doubt. It just does not release it.

7. Sandman619 macrumors newbie

Sandman619

Lion...

First thought is that iStat Pro might not be showing you everything that is running. As a user of iPulse, similar to iStat Pro, it only shows user processes, but not other users that might be logged in or system processes. In order to view all processes running, iPulse has to have admin permission. As of Lion, it appears that iPulse no longer provides that option, whether that is an Apple issue or iPulse just needs an update, I don’t know. Sooo, long story - short, open Activity Monitor > Utilities to see all running processes. Check the Network tab, which isn’t just internet access, but includes any communication on your local network. If you suspect any apps of excessive Internet access, you can block access in System Preferences > Security… > Firewall

As for Safari, in Lion the user interface ( the controls, tabs, buttons, menu, et al ) run separately from the web content. So when the web content crashes, it won’t take down Safari but all pages will need to refresh, which takes a considerable time if there are many pages or tabs open

Hope some of this helps

Cheers !