Mac OS Lion X ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anish69, Mar 4, 2011.

1. anish69 macrumors newbie

Will the Mac OS Lion X be able for the macbook pro 2011 when it comes out? or will expect another design change of the macbook pro when they release it? either way will it work on my new MBP 2011 when the release it

Cheers

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

it will work

4. articcine macrumors regular

Yes. A new MBP will probably be october at the earliest, probably not until next year though.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Early indication suggests that the minimum requirement is any Mac with a Core 2 Duo processor.

6. Whitelightning macrumors regular

Being a PC user, I find it sad perhaps the most useful feature Im looking most forward to is being able to resize windows from any side...

7. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Probably a silly question: If we buy a new MBP now, will we get a free upgrade to Lion when it comes out? If not, and I'm guessing we won't, how much will the upgrade probably cost?

8. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Usually they allow upgrades on machines within 30 days. Since Lion is coming this summer you will have to buy the upgrade. :(

9. Beck4164 macrumors newbie

Its doubtful that they will give lion free, they usually only do the past thirty days. You will have to purchase a copy this summer. Hopefully they keep the $29 price from Snow Leopard

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Highly doubt Apple is going to use the same pricing model as Snow Leopard. Apple acknowledged that Snow Leopard wasn't a "new" OS, instead it was mostly an extension of Leopard. From the keynote, it looks like Apple is suggesting that Lion is a whole new OS, with the "Back to Mac" line - bringing iOS features to OS X. For me, I think a reasonable price that won't really anger users would be $99 but even at that price, it wouldn't be a definite buy for me just based on what's been previewed so far.

11. stevemiller macrumors 65816

after getting burned with a lot of early adoption woes with snow leopard, my ideal gameplan would be to wait until just before lion is to be released to buy the new mbp.

my logic is that once a new OS is released, all systems ship with that OS and won't let you install any older version. assuming the 30 day free upgrade window that wingsabr suggests, you'd get a stabile version of 10.6 that should run well on your system from day 1, and a free upgrade to 10.7 that you can either use or hold onto in case it needs a few point updates to work out the kinks.

and if you're a student/faculty (at least in north america) that'll hopefully also fall inside the back-to-school ipod promo timeframe, so you'll get a free ipod out of the deal too!