MAC/OS Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paulshiels, Jan 21, 2009.

1. paulshiels macrumors newbie

Hi there

To describe myself as technologically challenged would be unfair to those who are technologically challenged. I had a problem where my mail kept shutting down as soon as I opened it. I searched on here and found a post which seemed to give the answer to resolving the problem. I had a half assed attempt at fixing mine and have ended up deleting all my inbox and sent messages, some of which are very important. I deleted all the info/plist from all accounts I had. I trashed them and have subsequently removed them from trash but dont know where each one came from so my mail, which now opens OK, has no messages in any boxes. I appreciate my description of the problem is as half assed as my attempt to fix was. Any help would be gratefully received.

The smart one from the seven dwarves. Yer OK.

2. paulshiels thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anybody help me on this. Some really important emails were deleted.

I moved username/library/mail to my desktop and removed various files, mostly info/plist from my inboxes, sent and deleted folders in all my email accounts. When I then tried to reopen mail it worked but almost as a new setup. When it then opened only messages from the last week were in the inbox. I moved the files I had trashed back out of trash but was unsure which one went in which folder. Am i done for or is there anyway I can get the messages back in order. Please help I really am desperate.

3. naftalim macrumors 6502

On the Apple Online Support site, you can schedule time with an "expert" might be worth a try.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You don't say where you live, but I really agree with the above poster. If you can go to an Apple Store and use the Genius Bar, that's really the best option given your self-described tech skills level.