Mac OS on a PC: Can it be done?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ball, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Ball macrumors newbie

I am thinking about getting a Mac but I would really like only one computer. I currently have a Sont VAIO and it is great except for Windows. I think that is the case with most PCs. Now with that nightmare called Windows Vista thing are only going to get worse and that is why I would like to run the Mac OS on a PC.

I think it would be good for Mac because from what I know and I don't know much, the main reason Mac are a joy and PC can be a pain in the butt are the respective operating systems.

What has kept me from getting a Mac is the fact that it is proprietary. When Dells starting sucking PC uses had many choices but with the G3 and G4 logic board problems Mac users don't have a choice.

Form a business point of view Apple could clean up if their OS was available for PCs and anything that can even in a small way put the screws to MicroSoft would be a good thing. I would venture to say that 99% of the problems PC have are Windows related.

My Sony is a robust machine. I would really love it if it would behave like a Mac.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not legally, and its not great if you manage (difficult, and crashes on updates etc.) to do it. I recommend Ubuntu for now :)

3. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

It CAN be done. But as far as I know it is illegal. It is very hard. It should NOT work flawlessly. Its better that you buy a Mac.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It can be done but it is illegal, they are called hackintoshes *cough*. It works best if the hardware is the same as macs.

To be fair windows does have to deal with a lot of hardware.

5. thegrifman macrumors regular

Just buy a mac. I gave hackintosh a try prior to getting my mac and it ran but not very well. Ultimately it sold me on the whole thing. Within a couple of months I'd scraped together the money to buy a macbook pro and I haven't looked back since.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

7. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

• It can be done
    • It's illegal
    • It generally works assuming your hardware's from after 2004
    • It's not to difficult anymore
    • Apple wont release OS X for generic PC's

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Download.com recently posted a video on how to do this. But in the video the guy specifically tells you not to do it. (Kinda strange... if you don't want people to do something, why show them how?)

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Interesting. What version of OSX where they using?

10. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Err.. google it.

It is possible, and its been done lots of times, including my success.

Its gotten rather easy too. Used to be mind-numbingly annoying and difficult.

11. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Yes,ofcourse it can be done....who cares if its illegal heh?!
    thats what i though first,3 of my friends tried many ways to do it..they end up screwing up their computers...
    so i decided to sell my brand new Siemens laptop and buy this macbook pro..which is such a peice of awesome hardware!!!

im 18,a hairdresser -not great income- but i thought that it still worth it losing moneyfrom selling a new windows laptop..and paying lots more for this ''screamer''.:apple:

12. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

This isnt windows talk buddy. THIS... IS... SPARTA!

13. Digitaljim macrumors regular

Digitaljim

My experience:

It is easy if you follow one of the numerous guides out there.

Easier still if you buy hardware that has already been verified as working (from a list i saw there was about an 75% success rate with most components, and patches and drivers arrive all the time)

Once it is installed it worked flawlessly.

14. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I had a buddy in school who pulled the stock motor from his old Ford pickup and dropped in a Cadillac engine. He called the thing a Fordillac.

It was a unique bit of engineering but it never seemed to be worth all the trouble he had. Nothing ever worked quite right.

My question is - why would anyone want to take the Mac OS (Cadillac engine) and drop it into a PC (old Ford pickup)?

Just buy the damn Caddy (Mac) and be done with it. Besides if Apple had to start making sure their software worked on every jerk-water machine out there the software wouldn't work half as well as it does.

15. TheSilencer macrumors regular

Why would people do such a thing? Simple:

You get a consumer Mac tower or mobile computer, free choice of CPU, Board, faster RAM, faster GPU Cards, all that the "rest of the prosumer/gamer" wants but not get from Apple. And the other thing, it´s a cheap way to get into Mac OS X for a non Apple user, also it is just a "project of interest", why not, people do things like putting OS 7/8 on Nintendo DS or PSP and so on, why not on PC? And don´t forget, you may get OS X to work on PC but you may not get a Mac experience from it.

And to repeat it: It´s illegal, don´t try this at home. :)

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It goes against the User agreement. You will lose out on a lot of the things that make OS X so great. Considering the cost of putting together a PC that would give you the most out of OS X you'll be better off just getting a Mac. The new iMacs are rather inexpensive and would be a great starting ground for you.

17. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

If it's a new machine just add the extra cost if any and get a real mac. If you only have an old machine it can probably be done. Intel CPU with SSE3 and Nvidia graphics but not so new that it has 512MB vram or more is recommended. Also you will never know what updates might break your machine.

Also you might miss out on power saving features and such.

18. showtime macrumors 6502

Works great if you have the right hardware. It actually works a lot better on a desktop than a laptop. You might lose out on a lot of things that should work on a laptop like wireless, trackpad, sleep mode.

If you have an intel 3945 wireless card you can pretty much forget about wireless.
    If you have synaptics trackpad there's no 2 finger scrolling or regular scrolling for that matter.
    Some video cards won't work with it leaving you without quartz extreme or core image.
    Sleep may not work on your laptop when you close the lid.

As you can see most of this is negligible on a desktop but really necessary for a laptop which is why I made the switch. If you have a newer vaio notebook I suggest selling it to get a macbook. It'll make your life a whole lot easier.

19. kolax macrumors G3

I think you have that the wrong way round - why would you buy a Mac (Cadillac engine) and drop Windows onto it (old Ford pickup).

Now that Mac's are Intel, using OSX on a PC isn't exactly dropping it into something old or crappy is it since the specifications are pretty much exactly the same - but in saying that there is a slightly different structure/design to the two builds which benefits OSX.

20. mpw Guest

Put it this way:
    If MacOS is a Cadillac engine and you can fit it in a Ford pick-up you could probably fit it in a sexy two seat roadster too. What analogue would you use for Apple hardware?

21. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

99% of the problems Windows has are PC related. What makes macs brilliant is the fact that the operating system is tightly integrated with compatible hardware. Of course, some would argue that it cripples macs as well.

I'd buy a mac, you'll really enjoy the real deal.

22. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I would never trust anything Apple in Non-Apple hardware without Apple's support.

23. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

24. Gav macrumors regular

Yes, it can be done. Quite easily too if you know where to look.

25. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride