Mac OS on a Slippery Slope...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by remybrooks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. remybrooks macrumors member

For me, Lion was a downgrade from Snow Leopard.
    The constant freezes, error messages, taking away good gestures- adding in bad gestures, Lack of colour, trying to make Mac OS an IOS device.

Sure, I could downgrade to Snow Leopard and wait for OS X 10.8 but thats probably just going to be the same as Lion. So, do I downgrade to SL and get left behind or suck it up and go with the flow? I could downgrade till there is a few more updates for Lion and Plead apple to bring back features (like 'pinch to zoom' in Finder) but knowing apple they won't do anything.
    I can't use Linux and I refuse to use windows.

What do you think?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Some of your issues may have to do with which Mac you are running Lion on.

On my 2008 MB, I do get some issues with wake up from sleep and occasional freezes, but my 2009 MBP works flawlessly.

I even did a clean install on the MB and upgraded it to 8 GB of RAM but that didn't fix the underlying problems.

B

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not experiencing the issues you are freezes or error messages
    17" Santa Rosa MBP or 13" 2011 MBA
    So in that regard Lion is stable and awesome for me

As far as your preferences in the interface, those are just that, preferences
    I have no issue with the move towards a more integrated and intuitive UI
    Creating similarities between the two, iOS and OS X gives consistency
    And in my experience, it has not compromised functionality

I understand others are having issues
    And they want the interface they were comfortable with
    But the rest of us are enjoying innovation and the evolution of technology

4. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

Im running Mac Book early 2010. I was thinking of Partitioning my Hard Drive and give a portion to Lion and a portion to SL but i can't work between them. Its either one or the other. Im going to do a clean install of Lion tomorrow to see if that makes it a bit less buggy, doubt it though.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I echo the other posters, my 2010 MBP is running Lion extremely well, its fast stable and the features added in help my work flow. There's certainly features that were added that I don't like mission control or gestures and so I don't use those specific features.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I was hesitant at first about Lion, but right now I just love it. Natural scrolling is the best one for me and it is intuitive, I got used to it that I don't want to go back to the old scrolling. Apple did it right.

Launchpad is more useful than the dock and prevents desktop clutter as well as Mission control (expose and spaces in one). Overall experience I love it. I am waiting and excited for the next point release.

I am on an early 2008 macbook 2.4ghz with 4gb of ram and SSD if that would matter.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I can say though that Lion has been just fine for me on two iMac's. A 2009 C2D 24" and a 2010 i7 27". It's been 65 days since 10.7.2 was released and that is the last time I restarted my 27" iMac.

Have you looked in the Console to see what errors are showing up? That will clue you (us) into what the problems may be and perhaps we can help you solve them so that Lion will work as it's supposed to.

8. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

i admit, Launch Pad is a nice feature but is it really necessary? You have a dock and an App folder. I guess it is easier to access and uses gestures. Mission Control is a mess and sucks, it just sucks.

Do you think if I go back to SL i'm just getting left behind? Or should I just go with Lion?

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you don't want to use Launch Pad then you don't have to
    I still have my Dock and I use it instead for most things

Same with Mission Control
    If you don't like a feature, you just don't use :)
    I personally never found a use for the Dashboard in my workflow

Yes, you will eventually be left behind
    That is inevitable

10. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

I agree, Mission control doesn't have to be used. But, it has replace SL's gestures.
    SL- 4 finger swipe up=desktop - 4 finger swipe down=All windows open.
    I think the reason I don't like Lion is mainly because they have changed/removed features but haven't given you the option to change them back.
    Also, How many of you use the 'natural' push the page, 2 finger scroll. I immediately changed it back to normal...(i don't like to adapt)

11. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I've invented toilet paper that clings to itself. This improves wipe-flow because you can utilize it with one hand, and no matter how hard you rip, it won't spool out onto the floor. Just close your fingers and it bunches one-handed, too.

Hope you're all ready to adapt to the new way of wiping, because stubborn late-adapters will be left behind. Get with the times!

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use natural scrolling and prefer it now

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't. I tried it for a week and then decided to switch it back to the old way.

14. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Lion works fine. I have a late 2008 MBP.
    Yours might have some software issues, or It needs more RAM?
    Anyway, as previously suggested check with the Console what is going on, as well as with the Activity Monitor.
    How did you performed the installation?
    Maybe you need to repair some permissions and reinstall some of the Apps or a fresh Lion install.
    About Mission Control, yes you are right Expose was better, but us not that bad, it an be tweaked to behave like you prefer. I was disappointed that it doesn't allow you to close some open windows ala Safai in iOS.
    I do like launch Pad, and it has been the main reason for me to get used to the 'natural' scrolling.
    You get use to it in a few days, and like any habit after 21 days doing something it becomes the new natural habit.
    I do have my old HDD running SnowLeopard and it woks fine when I needed it too.
    They should allow the usage of Snow Leopard (non-server) in Virtual Machines for running Rosetta apps.

15. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Running Lion here on three separate machines ranging from a 2007 iMac through to a 2009 17"MBP and a 2010 iMac 27". Not one single problem. Runs better than Leopard did on the two older machines and certainly just as smooth as Snow Leopard.

I wonder if there's more to your issues than you're suspecting - possibly a device driver or third-party kext causing issues?

I'd suggest that you back up all your data and try a fresh install on a newly repartitioned hard drive. I suspect that might solve your problems.

16. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Erm, sorry? If Exposé was here to stay I would have ignored Mission Control. But it isn't.

17. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

i would say that the removal of Expose was a devolution, not an evolution.

step backwards imo

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Opinion and preferences about the user interface
    We all have them

There are 2 separate issues with Lion
    1. Some people are having issues with crashes, WiFi, etc.
    2. Some people don't like the interface changes

19. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

The dock are now for my favorite apps and I have removed the App folder on the dock.

20. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I've been using Macs since 1994 and don't disagree with what you're saying in essence (heck, there's stuff from OS9 that I miss!), but I think your thread title's a bit dramatic. I've helped 2 friends buy their first Macs in the past few weeks and they love OSX.

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is my only real complaint with Lion and it's quite trivial. I wish they would either return Expose and Spaces back the way it was, or at least, give us the option to revert to it, rather than lock us into the new style.

22. StevenMeyer, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

StevenMeyer macrumors member

StevenMeyer

As a heavy linux user the change in spaces is the greatest thing ever.

23. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

For me its not. When I got my Mac it was the best computer I ever used and I don't feel the same with Lion. If Mac OS keeps on heading in this direction I won't be able to enjoy it any more, and computers being such a big part of my life in general and as a photographer I have to use one- I hate Windows/Cant use Linux so Im counting on Mac to give me a computer I want to use use.
    By the way Im rolling 4gb Ram and a Core 2 duo Processor.
    Im going to perform a Clean install today via Hard Drive and see if that helps anything.:rolleyes: