Mac OS on Windows PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iaddict, Feb 19, 2009.

1. iaddict macrumors 6502

Just curious about whether or not I could install Mac OS on a windows computer and have it operate okay. I'm thinking about a work around for a computer for my 80+ year old dad and he's already familiar with Mac OS. I think having him try to learn Windows might drive him (and, actually me) crazy. Anyone have any experience with this or is this an idea that needs to never see the light of day?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. Don't listen to anyone else when they say it can be done.

Or, go to Google and type in Hackintosh, Kalyway, iDeneb, or InsanelyMac.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

4. wfoster macrumors 6502a

wfoster

@ VPrime: I'm wanting the same things. What do I have to do on that website? (InsanelyMac)

5. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

VPrime

Did you do a standard install on a prebuilt computer or did you configure your own desktop?

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

sigh...and the legality of doing so has not been settled. I doubt apple will care if you do it for yourself, but it's still questionable.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

8. iaddict thread starter macrumors 6502

legal?

I guess I don't understand that statement. It is illegal to install Mac OS on a computer not built by Apple? Sorry but I am not familiar at all with the law concerning this.

Thanks

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

The Software License Agreement states you can only install on an Apple machine. Umpteen arguments are available on both sides as to whether or not this can be enforced if you search the forums. You can't simply install OSx on a plain windows machine; Apple uses what's called EFI instead of the typica BIOS.

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Built my own.. But I built the desktop before I even planed on installing OS X..

Read it.. go tot he forums, there are guides on what do do.

You can use a genuine Leopard disk from apple, but you must patch it (guides on the site) You can also download prepatched copies.. but these are not legal (not that a genuine disk is 100% legal any ways.. but at least you will be supporting apple in a small way)
    You will also need a custom EFI loader (the prepatched copies you download include this usually), as well as some custom kext/drivers.. again the downloaded copies usually include driver packs that cover a wide range of hardware.

There is a new version of Chameleon boot loader that lets you launch OS X though an emulated EFI. This new version (not yet released) looks pretty awesome and has lots of cool features.

11. cjm3113 macrumors 6502