mac os quirks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phantom3334, Jul 29, 2009.

1. phantom3334 macrumors newbie

I bought a new macbook white today, I'm new to apple. and I found some quirks in the os, not really what I expected , msn messenger wont work, says id or password incorrect. then the trash won't empty. then msn messenger won't quit easily when I switched to corporate account.
    and somehow the system begins to freeze a little. slightly slower than start point .
    one question : does my system need reinstall ? or this is normal ?
    and the stupid trash won't empty all the time

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Use Adium http://adium.im/
    MSN is terrible on OS X. Microsoft must hate Apple. As for the trash, what does it say?
    Again try TrashIt Download

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

There may be something locked in the trash... try pressing option while emptying the trash
    http://www.ehow.com/how_8174_force-mac-trash.html
    There is an ehow article on it.
    Can you be more specific on your slow down or freezes? Does it do it sometimes and during what?

4. phantom3334 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot for the adium. I'm really new to mac and all this scared me because the piece is brand new.

the trash problem happens mostly when I delete msn files. but the problem is solved now when I used terminal . it just happened for the second time today and this creeped me because it,s new,etc

it freezed when the msn couldn't quit. this reminded me of windows :/

and it took a long time in restarting.

I was just wondering should I reinstall or this all happens usually. . reinstalling creeps me as well. :/

5. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Freezing on any microsoft product is normal if not to be expected. That is nothing to worry about at all. The trash problem is related to microsoft so you have nothing to worry about from the apple side. The Operating System is perfectly fine and you do not need to reinstall. The problem is microsoft...they don't like mac and as a result they release unoptimized versions of software for apple consumers to use.