Mac OS runs hotter than Xp

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zachmarius, Dec 7, 2009.

1. zachmarius macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have a White Macbook 13". Specs:
    Intel T7500 2.20Ghz
    1GB Ram
    320GB HDD
    Mobile Intel 965 Video.

Here's the weird:
    When I start up in Mac OS (Snow Leopard) I have iStat running at start up. My cpu starts off at around 160F then moves up to 180F with the fans running like crazy. It feels hotter and I can definitely tell that there is something wrong. TheMacStore said that's normal but I don't think so.
    When I switch over to XP I run SpeedFan and I get much lower temperatures. It starts off near 100F then moves up to 130F. If I'm doing heavy work then it just barely pushes 140F. I can't hear any fans and the laptop isn't hot to the touch.

What could possibly be the issue? Is there something that got into my machine through Mac that didn't through XP? (since XP and Mac don't talk. NTFS) Am I SOL?

One other note is that my battery went kaput about a week before this fan thing started happening. I have the battery in because I can still use it for about 15 mins. before it crapping on me.

Any help is appreciated.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you look in Activity Meater and "all processes" what is it that is using the CPU? What is the overall CPU untilization?

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

1 gig of ram in Snow is a bit low TBH

EDIT: Spelling

4. zachmarius thread starter macrumors newbie

More info...

Besides the Activity Meter using about 4-5% the LexmarkCUPSDriver is using 95-98% by user _lp.

I know that I have drivers on this computer so I can use my Lexmark X3350 but I don't know why it's using that much. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I also took out my battery just for a 'just to see' and my CPU temp dropped down to 135F. Why would my defunct battery cause the Mac to heat up but not XP?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you remove the battery and run on AC, the CPU throttles down a bit.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Down to 1ghz.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

50% is not what I would consider a bit. It cuts performance in half when you pull the battery - not sure why but it is what it is.

8. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Kill LexmarkCUPSDriver and you should see a marked improvement.

It would be advisable to remove the Lexmark software (if practically possible) and obtain the latest version from Lexmark.

9. zachmarius thread starter macrumors newbie

I did kill Lexmark and I did see some improvement on CPU range. However the biggest effector for me was removing the battery. I'm running XP now because I don't want to keep removing and replacing the battery everytime I want to go somewhere. I also don't have the money to buy a new battery.

Hmm...what else to do.

Thanks so much to everyone who helped out!

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

I didn't know the exact amount, just that it did throttle down on AC only. Something weird in the power management causes it.

11. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Seriously consider upgrading the RAM.

XP is an 8 year old OS, designed to run with much lower specs than Snow Leopard (a 4 month old OS)

1GB is 5 times the recommended spec from MS for XP

1GB IS the minimum spec for Snow Leopard. 2GB is recommended.

Otherwise I would recommend going back to your previous OS (Leopard or Tiger)

As far as the battery goes, do you have AppleCare? If you do, it may be worth booking a genius bar appointment. Although I'm not 100% sure on the battery coverage under AppleCare.