Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnoob09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
I am brand new to Mac and I like what I see so far but for some reason I think that YDL 5.0 is to the equivalent of like Windows 95 or 98. Can anyone let me know if I am close. I am very proficient in Windows cause thats all I have ever known. I am really wanting to learn EVERYTHING I can about Mac. All of this is for my PS3. I am one to tweak stuff or try things even tho it'll blow the computer up or whatever. I would just like to know these things for common knowledge. I see alot about Leapord 10.5.7 or something like that. Looks great but I don't think PS3 can support it. I wanna know what number like" 10.5.7" is to the equivalent of YDL 5.0. Is it like 5.0.1 or something? Also I wanna play computer games on the YDL OS but I can only find CDRoms that say PC CDRom or whatever, not Windows Specific I know I can't use those, but are PC CDRom ones for Mac? I know its alot but I want to know alot. TY for any info someone might have.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I highly doubt you could get OS X running on the PS3. Sure, the Cell can theoretically run PPC code, but that is a hell of a long way from the whole OS running. YDL is a flavor of Linux, it has no relation to Windows, and no relation to OS X beyond also being *nix. If you want to play games on your PS3 while it is booted up in YDL, you will need a Linux specific game compiled for at least POWER/PowerPC, if not the Cell specifically.

(Also, if my post didn't make sense, you have a lot of studying to do before continuing with the modding path you're on)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
YDL has nothing to do with the Mac OS. It's simply an alternative OS that can run on PS3 or PowerPC Mac hardware.

macnoob09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
yes you are right the post didn't make entire sence to me but thats why I am on here. To learn all of this kinda of stuff. So I can't just go get an older game like WarCraft, the very 1st one, and put it in and play you are saying because its not linux or YDL specific? I got emulators for NES SNES N64 and already have quite a few games on my system since I posted so I am getting the hang of some things. Whats GNOME? and also NAUTILUS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.