Mac OS says battery is "charged" at 99%

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
My battery charger is stuck at 99% (I just got the ibook) for the past 2 hours. I've seen it hit 100% before but for some reason it's stuck at 99% C'est normal?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yep, normal. Don't worry about it. It's just making sure it doesn't overcharge itself and blow itself up. It won't charge again until it drops to about 95% from memory. :)

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
mad jew said:
Yep, normal. Don't worry about it. It's just making sure it doesn't overcharge itself and blow itself up. It won't charge again until it drops to about 95% from memory. :)
!?!!? So it's going to charge the battery again when it drops to 95%? Doesn't this kill the lifetime of the battery!?!!?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
No, quite the opposite. It means that the battery only has to charge itself very rarely (if left unused) as opposed to if that threshold were closer to 100%, in which case the battery would have to stop and start charging very often.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
As long as you fully discharge (force the laptop to go to sleep) the battery every month and then recharge it to full (between 96 and 100%, depending on how OS X feels that day), then the battery will maintain its life for quite a while.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
crazzyeddie said:
As long as you fully discharge (force the laptop to go to sleep) the battery every month and then recharge it to full (between 96 and 100%, depending on how OS X feels that day), then the battery will maintain its life for quite a while.
Great tip, thanks. I going to start to do this, learn something new on MR everday :)

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
DeSnousa said:
Great tip, thanks. I going to start to do this, learn something new on MR everday :)
That's not actually what Apple says:
Standard Technology
Lithium-ion batteries pack in a higher power density than Nickel-based batteries. This gives you a longer battery life in a lighter package, as Lithium is the lightest metal. You can also recharge a Lithium-ion battery whenever convenient, without the full charge or discharge cycle necessary to keep Nickel-based batteries at peak performance. (Over time, crystals build up in Nickel-based batteries and prevent you from charging them completely, necessitating an inconvenient full discharge).

Attachments

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
itchster said:
it does not harm it to do a full charge cycle every month though right? so what's the harm?
The harm is, according to Apple, that if you charge your laptop 3% a day, it'll take 30 days to complete one charge cycle. If you then run it down completely and recharge, you're just using up another cycle for nothing: each battery only has so many cycles in its lifespan.

Applespider

macrumors G4
skunk said:
The harm is, according to Apple, that if you charge your laptop 3% a day, it'll take 30 days to complete one charge cycle. If you then run it down completely and recharge, you're just using up another cycle for nothing: each battery only has so many cycles in its lifespan.
There's a lot of contradictory stuff about this. I'd been calibrating my battery about every 4 months when I remembered but the Genius Bar told me I should be doing it every month. I've compromised and do it every 2-3 months.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Lithium batteries + full uncharge/charge cycles = BAD. It just shortens the life. Only do it if you feel your battery meter is screwedup. Over time the max capacity will go down so your battery will need to be recalibrated.

There is a thread somewhere here about a terminal command you can run to see max capacity and what it was at calibration.

Applespider

macrumors G4
skubish said:
There is a thread somewhere here about a terminal command you can run to see max capacity and what it was at calibration.
If you have Tiger, you don't need to run the ioreg command in the Terminal any longer. You can see it in System Profiler along with the number of cycles. You will have to keep a mental note of what it was originally and what it is now. Mine has lost about 13% of its capacity in about 17 months which I don't think is too bad

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
skubish said:
I think this thread lists an alternative command for terminal (further down the thread).

diehldun

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2003
Right now, the charger light is green, and my PB says it's fully charged at 97% (it shifts from 96-99% for no reason); I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is something wrong? I try to calibrate it every two months or so if not travelling... :confused:

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
diehldun said:
Right now, the charger light is green, and my PB says it's fully charged at 97% (it shifts from 96-99% for no reason); I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is something wrong? I try to calibrate it every two months or so if not travelling... :confused:
I have never calibrated my battery and my PB shows some of the same things as you described. (My light usually switches over to green at 95%)

I just checked the terminal command and the system profiler and this is the result:
Capacity=4151, AbsoluteMaxCapacity=4200 with a Cycle Count of 101 (i stay plugged in most of the time).

So no, i dont think there is anything wrong with your PB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.