Mac OS security vulnerability with torrent apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SteinMaster, Sep 3, 2009.

1. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I searched and did not find anything answering my question. I see Transmission is a popular bittorrent app. Is using a bittorrent app such as this safe? Am I opening setting myself up for compromise if I use these apps. P2P apps are a good way to get infected with viruses and hacked. Can I set my OS security features to prevent system compromise if I choose to use a bittorrent app?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I use torrents all the time. It is highly unlikely that your are going to get a trojan/malware. Just be smart about what you download.

3. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Its best to not torrent at all if u are worried about security.

4. idifuplease macrumors newbie

hmm well then is there any other reliable anti-virus for mac besides norton???

its a hog and piece of junk on PC and i doubt it will be anybetter on mac?

5. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

You can use ClamAV to scan.

Using P2P by itself is not a vector for infection -- it's what you run/execute from the downloads that gives you viruses, trojans, or whatever.

Be smart about what you run, no matter where you download it from, but especially from P2P. If you download something you expect to be 500MB and it's only 1.5MB, then you can be quite sure it's a trojan or some other malware hoping to score based upon your recognition of the filename.

6. SteinMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Thanks - I use Intego and keep it updated, so I should be OK

7. devburke Guest

It’s not the tormenting that’s unsafe, it’s the files you’re downloading. For example, there was a trojan out awhile back that came in a pirated copy of iWork. When you buy iWork, you’re getting it from Apple, you know you can trust it. But when you’re downloading software from random people over the internet and installing it, you don’t know how they may have messed with it. Be smart with your downloads.

Don’t torrent software anyway though. That’s just stealing, and you can’t say you’re not asking for malware, or that you wouldn’t kinda have it coming.