mac os struggle

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by apple tech geek, Oct 26, 2016.

1. apple tech geek macrumors member

apple tech geek

ok any help ok? for example i got 3 files on my floppy disk i move them to the desktop but when i eject the floppy the files on desktop are gone aswel this is in mac os 7 and 9(i didnt test on more)

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Yes you have to drag them on the hard drive icon not the desktop, it doesnt "save the files" to the computer hard drive space just dragging to the desktop.

3. apple tech geek thread starter macrumors member

apple tech geek

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

You will see a copy file bar after you do it and floppy access noise as it reads from the floppy and copies the info to the installed hard disk.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The advice of the others is correct - in the classic Mac OS, the "Desktop" is not a single folder as it is in OS X or Windows. There is a Desktop folder on every disk. When you drag a file to "the desktop," by default it copies it to the Desktop folder on the same disk. Hence, when you eject the disk, you eject that disk's Desktop folder as well.

As said by others, you need to copy the file to the hard drive first - then you can move the hard drive copy to the hard drive's Desktop.