Mac OS won't load on start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kgroat, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kgroat macrumors newbie

ok so I'm feeling a little bit dumb because of this...

I have a MacBook Pro Intel Core [something something] ( I got it in 2006)

I wanted to get my hands on Adobe CS5, and to run it I had to finally upgrade to OS X 10.6. I researched downloading the torrents for it and found it was pretty reliable. In trying to install once I downloaded the .dmg successfully, i ran disk utility, tried to burn to a disk but couldn't, so went to the restore tab in disk utility, and tried to run the dmg through that as the source (whether I blew that file up or not I could care less...it was worth a try). BUT then still in trying install the dmg I found somewhere where the instructions said after running through restore in disk utility, open your system preferences > go to Startup or Startup Disk > then run it. In the Startup preferences, the folder for OS X10.6 showed up next to my OS X10.4, so I selected it, and hit apply or whatever. THAT'S WHEN my trash wouldn't finish emptying, I couldn't go back into my Apple Preferences, etc. I was able to open my About This Mac under the Apple drop down, and it read that it was running 10.6. So after trying a handful of things I held down my power down to turn off my computer, thinking I would turn it back on, but when I press the power button there is no loading animated gif, and there is a brief question mark that pops up where the apple is, and after a bit there is a screen wipe of a darker gray color, and a text pops up and reads something like "You need to restart your computer. Please hold down the power button until it turns off, wait a bit then press the power back on" All I get is that repeating process.

Before all of this I backed all my stuff up, so I can care less if I have to wipe the hard drive clean. I just don't know how to do that! How can I get my Mac going again?!?!:confused: Please!

Any help is appreciated!

-kevin

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Only thing I can suggest is going and buying SL. It's only 30 bucks.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yup. +1

4. kgroat thread starter macrumors newbie

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Short for Snow Leopard. A little hint, MacRumors doesn't condone piracy.

6. simsaladimbamba

That "You need to restart" message indicates a Kernel Panic.
    Btw, Snow Leopard only costs about 29 USD, but since you are a torrenter, you might not get it.

And

7. kgroat thread starter macrumors newbie

how would I install it after I get it? that's the prob

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Pop in the disk, then power up while holding option. When the menu comes up, boot from the disk, and you can install from there.

9. simsaladimbamba

10. kgroat thread starter macrumors newbie

i have never torrented before, hence I ran into this problem, I can say I won't ever again. So as for the terms and conditions, let this be more of an example and less of any kind of encouragement of such actions. i am very willling to purchase SL, I was simply looking for something tonight to run my CS5 that I got as a gift.

Thank you for the information to hold down option while pressing the power button. That is was is helping me right now. I am now running my old OS X 10.4 discs....

anything else I may need to know?

Thank you,

11. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You'll need to back up your stuff, as upgrading from 10.4 to 10.6 will require a clean install.

12. kgroat thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you thank you thank you.

I am now reinstalling 10.4, I'm guessing it should work properly?

Going to BUY 10.6 tomorrow. Please excuse my wrongful doings. I want to remain loyal to Apple, I have been a happy customer, and I especially need people like you guys on my side

more thanks for not wringing me out