Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryme4reson

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Cupertino CA
Sorry

Typo, eh?
10.2.5 cant be before 10.2 for 2 reasons.
10.2 wasn't out yet
10.2.5 hasn't been rumored to being devolped.

10.1.5 was the last update before 10.2.0
It was a typo, but thanks for the explaination. Since you can be so specific, can you explain to me why 1 comes before 2? Thanks alot :)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by MrMacman

Typo, eh?
10.2.5 cant be before 10.2 for 2 reasons.
10.2 wasn't out yet
10.2.5 hasn't been rumored to being devolped.

i wouldn't mind an explanation of what "devolped" means. too. you should be more careful about typos when you correct other people's typos.

by the way, i DO know that you mean "developed," so you don't try to explain that too....

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by FredAkbar

No, I think they meant "jag point 2" (10.2.2), and, "jag point 3" (10.2.3), and so on.

it's funny how humor DOESN'T come across on the forums for so many people.

it probably comes across to me even when not intended, so i am probably just as screwed.

animationkid

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2003
North Carolina
Who cares??

My question is, does it really matter if someone calls it "dot" or "point"?? I mean, it's just a friggin update!!!!!! If someone wants to call it "dot" then let them call it "dot". If someone wants to call it "point" then let them call it that....

sorry if it seems like i'm venting but i just think it is a little silly that you really think it matters in the big scheme of things b/c everyone knows what you're talking about!!!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Who cares??

Originally posted by animationkid
My question is, does it really matter if someone calls it "dot" or "point"?? I mean, it's just a friggin update!!!!!! If someone wants to call it "dot" then let them call it "dot". If someone wants to call it "point" then let them call it that....

sorry if it seems like i'm venting but i just think it is a little silly that you really think it matters in the big scheme of things b/c everyone knows what you're talking about!!!

i admit that, on hearing steve say "dot," in his keynote, i thought, "quaint," but would never really spend much time arguing about it.

however, i don't see a problem with doing so. macrumors forum is not a business institution. we don't follow the "everything not compulsory is forbidden" rule. we can talk and rant about whatever we darn well please, and no one is making you read it anyways. if you don't care, just skip posts. i sure did.

of course, in one sense i am damning myself here. i could skip over yours too... nah.

on the other hand, i DO think it matters what you say. i hate it when people say "as long as the other person understands you, it's all good. absolutely not. that's how language localizes and becomes isolated, so that when you go to another region their dialect is mostly incomprehensible to you. this is extreme of course, but this is why we have standards for how to say decimals, and why "newkular" is not the correct pronunciation of "nuclear" (eat your heart out, george).

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
May I point out that many of you have gone dotty.

This character: "." goes under many guises. In the UK we call it a "full stop" in the US it's more commonly known as a "period". As a punctuation mark it now denotes the end of a sentance, but it was once used to indicate a pause in speach, hence the term period.

Beyond punctuating text, it's applications vary internationally - it can be used in currency & time. It is not always used to indicate a decimal point - as you'll see if you check the Numbers tab in the International System Preferences Pane in OS X. In Sweden for example, the dot represents thousands rather than the decimal point.

In Internet parlance, it is used in IP addresses, where in speach you often use a pause rather than saying "dot" and most famously, in domain names, the notorious "dot com".

Jobs tends to be quite playful with his language - his use of "dot" rather than "point" is probably a deliberate affectation - let's remember that the guy takes pleasure in thinking different. By all accounts he's a bit of a trend setter and whatever people say about him, most admire his remarkable presentational skills. You never know, ten dot two might take off.

Now what I can't stand is the guys at the UK Apple Store call centre who talk about "Mac OS Ecs" rather than "Mac OS Ten" - you'd think they could train them to say that right!

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Foocha
May I point out that many of you have gone dotty.

This character: "." goes under many guises. In the UK we call it a "full stop" in the US it's more commonly known as a "period". As a punctuation mark it now denotes the end of a sentance, but it was once used to indicate a pause in speach, hence the term period.

Beyond punctuating text, it's applications vary internationally - it can be used in currency & time. It is not always used to indicate a decimal point - as you'll see if you check the Numbers tab in the International System Preferences Pane in OS X. In Sweden for example, the dot represents thousands rather than the decimal point.

In Internet parlance, it is used in IP addresses, where in speach you often use a pause rather than saying "dot" and most famously, in domain names, the notorious "dot com".

Jobs tends to be quite playful with his language - his use of "dot" rather than "point" is probably a deliberate affectation - let's remember that the guy takes pleasure in thinking different. By all accounts he's a bit of a trend setter and whatever people say about him, most admire his remarkable presentational skills. You never know, ten dot two might take off.

Now what I can't stand is the guys at the UK Apple Store call centre who talk about "Mac OS Ecs" rather than "Mac OS Ten" - you'd think they could train them to say that right!

man, those first couple of paragraphs wer hilarious. lol. they do that in a lot of German-speaking countries as well (use . for thousands, millons, etc, and , for decimals). i understand it's like that in a lot of European countries. anyways, i hope that was supposed to be at least slightly facetious... i sure got a great kick out of it. it really fit the moment.

CountZero

macrumors member
May 5, 2002
NYC
As an expat working in the US, I run into the dot vs point problem all the time. I always use 'point' rather 'dot' when speaking about software version, but most (if not all) of my American colleages use 'dot'.

As for OS X, I used to refer to it is '10' but now I got turned and call it 'X' :D

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
I suppose..

that many programmers would prefer 'dot' over 'point'. Especially when you get to 'point two' which could be construed as 'point to'----point being a verb rather than a noun.

Using 'dot' would standardize the language we use in the computer realm, also. How many out there say 'www point macrumors point com'?

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Originally posted by CountZero
As an expat working in the US, I run into the dot vs point problem all the time. I always use 'point' rather 'dot' when speaking about software version, but most (if not all) of my American colleages use 'dot'.

As for OS X, I used to refer to it is '10' but now I got turned and call it 'X' :D

Seeing as how this thread is so far off topic - I may as well contribute to the mayhem. :p

In regards to "Oh Es Ex" (OS X)... think about what it sounds like... and even say it in a sentence:

"I love Oh Ess Ex." Now think about someone in the same room that may overhear, and think about what they might have heard you say...

:eek:

So, needless to say, for my own benefit, I say "Oh Ess Ten"

waterbouy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2003
Chicargo, IL USA
So, what about this 'enhanced older G3 Powerbook support'

So, I was wondering whether there was any additional scoop on the enhanced support for pre-firewire G3 Powerbooks...

Any ideas? I hope it addresses the DVD player, since that is the only reason I have OS 9 at this point.

Of course, if someone were to donate an iBook or Powerbook that they are no longer using... :)

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Re: Re: do you know where I can buy parts of old apple models

Originally posted by bit_bucket

Hell sence this thread has gone so far off topic, does anyone have any parts for a 72 Ford Pinto, since it is about as old as the Gheto Performa..

bit

The thing i don't understand is why all of these Performa owners don't "splurge" for a $1,000 eMac, or a $800 Old-iMac if they're having so many problems. I've seen all the people complaining in various help chat rooms and AOL message boards (yes, I used to have AOL), and it seems so easy to go online and stop clinging to these 75/100MHz Performas (no offense).

My rant is over.

Anyway,

Originally posted by Glossybear
I know some people are already running 10.2.4, so is there any place with a list of changes?

And when do you think we will see 10.3?

How many 10.1.x revisions were there before Jag hit?

I think that it will be a long while (a year at least) before 10.3, because with all of the new Apps requiring 10.2, and all of the new effects, it still seems like 10.2 hasn't become "old" yet, with people still one version/one OS behind. You'll know its novelty and lifespan is coming to a close when people stop calling it Jaguar.;)

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
The 10.2 thing should be a point, because it's a decimal. In the old days, you'd have Program, Program 2, Program 2 Plus, Program 3, Program 4, Program 5, and Program Pro 1, for instance. When they started releasing incremental updates, decimal points seemed to be the way to go. However. you only have one decimal point per number. Computer programmers never realized this and started using numbers like 6.0.8 instead of 6.08.

I'm partial to build numbers, personally :)

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
However. you only have one decimal point per number. Computer programmers never realized this and started using numbers like 6.0.8 instead of 6.08.

I'm partial to build numbers, personally :)

Seems like this is a pretty good arguement for the 'dot' camp. If there's only one point/decimal in a number then releases must be using the . as a separator not a decimal, as in IP addresses; 192.168.0.1 uses . as a separator, same as when it's used in telephone numbers, etc.

So my votes is for 'dot' as 'point' should be reserved for decimal references.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.