Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar on iMac G3?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by JCLrox, Feb 18, 2012.

1. JCLrox macrumors regular

JCLrox

I have a Summer 2001 iMac G3 with Mac OS X 10.1, and I would like to install Jaguar on it. Before doing this, I wanted to check if I needed to update to the latest version of 10.1. This would be pretty hard, considering that I would need a connection to get the software update and I have no clue how to get connection on such an old computer. Also, is there a way to keep OS X 10.1 on the computer so that I could switch between the two versions? Thanks for any help you guys can give!

2. Bear macrumors G3

This type of question would go better in the PowerPC forum. But as I recall, the only OS X upgrade that has ever had a version requirement was Lion. And there it was just so you had the Mac AppStore application.

3. simsaladimbamba

Mac OS X 10.2 needs to be bought, you can't download it via Software Update.

Software update, upgrade--what's the difference?
    To run both 10.1 and 10.2 on that Mac, you need to partition the internal HDD, but you need to boot from the Installation CD to do so. I don't know, how big your HDD is, but it will probably be 20 to 60 GB.

Links to guides on how to use Disk Utility, the application Mac OS X provides for managing internal and external HDD/SSDs and its formats.

4. JCLrox thread starter macrumors regular

JCLrox

Thanks, I appreciate it! Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum, Bear.