Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alirio

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Montreal
Will it simplify the Network Browser so that shares you "Connect" to appear as disks on the Desktop and Sidebar?

I find that the present implementation lacks consistency compared to the "Go ... Connect to Server" method.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
10.3.2 seems to be a pretty major point release as Apple has gone from 7D10 to 7D15 with it so far.

bb0ys

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2003
I agree

Originally posted by alirio
Will it simplify the Network Browser so that shares you "Connect" to appear as disks on the Desktop and Sidebar?

I find that the present implementation lacks consistency compared to the "Go ... Connect to Server" method.

Panthers implementation of Network Browsing kind of sucks. It looks nicer and seems more full featured than Jaguars, but it just doesn't work like jaguars did.

jj2003

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
Finland
Originally posted by magi.sys
hrmmm... I hope that 'filesharing' means we finally have support for sftp

What kind of support are you looking for? If I'm not mistaken there is support for sftp in Panther.
Of course the Finder does not support it, but who cares, the command line rules, right ;)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I like the Network Browser in the Finder... except for the fact that it only shows my other machine's boot volume, and not its SCSI drive! Hmmm....

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Hmm, PostScript printing improvements.

I noticed yesterday that 12-point Times printed from TextEdit on a Personal Laserwriter 320 (which is a Level 2 PostScript printer) really looked like ass. Looking back through other recent printouts on the 320 reveals this: Printing from ClarisWorks 4.0 under 9.1 looks the way I'm used to. TextEdit under 10.2.6 (on a different computer) looks a little bit different--letter spacing is maybe a little tighter in some places--but it's still basically acceptable. But TextEdit under 10.3.1 is totally different, with different character shapes! Zeros are quite a bit wider but their strokes (?) are thinner, and the baseline looks very uneven somehow.

Remember that this is all on the same printer, using the same font, and the default kerning etc. in every case. It's understandable that TextEdit under OS X looks different than ClarisWorks under OS 9, but not that Panther TextEdit is so much different than Jaguar TextEdit!!

So hopefully this is what will be fixed in 10.3.2. And hopefully there will be a new Apple word processor and/or successor to AppleWorks that will be able to print more consistently (as well as having more features than the built-in Cocoa text handling that TextEdit uses).

FWIW
WM

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Originally posted by alirio

Ditto...who's big idea was this crappy interface for browsing servers?

rauf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Kiwiland now - it's the best.
Originally posted by jj2003
What kind of support are you looking for? If I'm not mistaken there is support for sftp in Panther.
Of course the Finder does not support it, but who cares, the command line rules, right ;)

COMMAND LINE RULES???? WHAT IS THIS - AN ***ing DOS CONVENTION.

I use a mac in preference to a PC or a bare bones unix workstation precisely because there is a decent GUI. If I wanted to manually type every command I wouldn't have bought a mac. I want easy GUI access to all connected networks/servers - whatever - without any thought, just like I want to switch on a light without building the bulb first. I thought that was the whole design philosophy of the mac, "IT JUST WORKS" - REMEMBER?

frogmella

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
GeForce4MX/Sawtooth

Sadly, this build doesn't yet fix the problem with Apple GeForce4MX vards in a Sawtooth with more than 256MB RAM, despite updated GeForce drivers.

LinuxGigolo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by rauf
COMMAND LINE RULES???? WHAT IS THIS - AN ***ing DOS CONVENTION.

Nope. Not a DOS convention. But do you REALLY expect Apple to replicate everything that can be done at the CLI in the GUI? I think that'd be pretty dang impossible, if you ask me. Apple has to focus on what the masses need and getting bugs out of the GUI more than it needs to focus on the inclusion of GUI access to sftp.. or... dd.. or... even df. There are 3rd party applications that can give you a graphical SFTP if you want it (Transmit does this just fine.. although it is share(cripple)ware.) Or, of course, you have the option to do it at the command line. But I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Apple to fix this. There are other options.

magi.sys

macrumors member
May 12, 2003
Of course the Finder does not support it, but who cares, the command line rules, right

Well, sure I can use commandline. But for the clients that I manage the servers for it would be nice if the finder had support for sftp.

rauf

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2003
Kiwiland now - it's the best.
Originally posted by LinuxGigolo
... do you REALLY expect Apple to replicate everything that can be done at the CLI in the GUI? I think that'd be pretty dang impossible...

Yes I do pretty much I'm afraid. That's why I but a mac, for the sheer convenience of not having to remenber the latest version of some obcure command line terminology and how it applies to this particular version of BSD/Darwin/Mach etc...

Now I'm not simple, I realise apple has to remain profitable, but it also has to differentiate itself from the masses of free unix / linux versions out there. There's more than enough to compete on stability and sure as hell on price!... so osX only has user interface going for it.

Reading through the open source community sites, they view osX as unix for the masses, and not a serious threat to established versions. If osX goes all command line for anything useful, then people would just get free BSD or red hat or whatever did what they needed, rather than osX. Surely apple has to incorporate as much of unix into the GUI to maintain it's customer base, especially in the pro community?

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by rauf
Yes I do pretty much I'm afraid. That's why I but a mac, for the sheer convenience of not having to remenber the latest version of some obcure command line terminology and how it applies to this particular version of BSD/Darwin/Mach etc...

Now I'm not simple, I realise apple has to remain profitable, but it also has to differentiate itself from the masses of free unix / linux versions out there. There's more than enough to compete on stability and sure as hell on price!... so osX only has user interface going for it.

Reading through the open source community sites, they view osX as unix for the masses, and not a serious threat to established versions. If osX goes all command line for anything useful, then people would just get free BSD or red hat or whatever did what they needed, rather than osX. Surely apple has to incorporate as much of unix into the GUI to maintain it's customer base, especially in the pro community?
I'm with you on this one. Keep it simple and elgant and dont' force us to use the command line.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
The thing I hope that's fixed is supporting samba network shares with longer share names. Some Windows users like naming their shares with long names, who knew?

I don't mind the browsing method, it' more like windows this way. Though Windows disconnects automatically when you leave the computer being browsed. Or maybe insert a contextual command for "Mount this Share" or something similar.

mcsjgs

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2003
Collie-fornya
For what it's worth:

7D12 About Box

The new version will include updates to USB, Graphics drivers, networking, AFP Server, WebDAV and International text, Apple reportedly told testers in the release notes accompanying the build. More specifically, the update patches Panthers Font Book, Terminal, Apple File Server, Help Viewer, Language Chooser, and System UI Server applications.

Version 10.3.2 also includes significant changes to Panther's audio, display, and graphics components -- including updates to several ATI Radeon, ATI Rage and nVidia GeForce graphics drivers. In addition, the release will patch a number of system frameworks, developers tell AppleInsider, including Admin, AppKit, Application Services, Carbon, CoreServices, Bluetooth, DiskImages, Java Virtual Machine, MediaKit, vecLib and WebKit.

(from AppleInsider)

From Thinksecret.com:

Apple seeds new 10.3.2, Xcode 1.1 builds

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief
November 24, 2003

Apple on Friday seeded a new build of Mac OS X 10.3.2 to developers, as well as a new version of Xcode 1.1.

The company provided testers with build 7D15 of 10.3.2, less than a week after releasing the update's first seed, build 7D12. The download was 34.1MB in size.

According to Apple, "areas of change" in the 10.3.2 update include International text, font management, FileVault, networking, graphics drivers, file sharing, directory services, USB, AFP Server, PostScript printing, and WebDAV. No known issues were specified.

"Please report any issues you may encounter in a timely manner," Apple told testers in a seed note, suggesting that the 10.3.2 update is nearing public release. "Within a week of this seed would be very much appreciated."

Apple also seeded build 7K109 of Xcode 1.1, a 14.6MB update to Panther's developer tools. We firstdetailed the updates in Xcode 1.1 on November 13, after Apple seeded build 7K104.

As for build 7K109, Xcode 1.1 project files are "fully compatible" with Xcode 1.0.x projects, Apple said in a seed note. Build 7K109 installs Xcode IDE 292.0, Xcode Core 292.0, and ToolSupport 292.0, according to the build's about box.

Apple also described a number of changes since build 7K105, including improvements to build system, debugger, file editing, find, SCM, and other tweaks. "No issues surfaced in seed release testing," Apple said.

Sources also said that Apple has seeded build 7D14 of Mac OS X Server 10.3.2.

mcsjgs

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2003
Collie-fornya
From microsoftwatch.com:

Monday, November 24, 2003

Mac OS X 'Panther' Server Due for Update
By_Nick Ciarelli

Sources report that Apple Computer is handing out Version 10.3.2 of its server OS to developers.

Apple Computer Inc. is readying a minor update to Mac OS X Server that will deliver a grab bag of system enhancements and bug fixes, sources said.

The Mac maker last week provided developers with a pre-release seed of Version 10.3.2, an update to the server counterpart of Apple's "Panther" OS.

Labeled "build 7D14" of Panther Server, the download comprised more than 45MB, sources told Microsoft Watch.

Apple reportedly specified some of the update's enhancements in a seed note provided to testers. Sources said the server update will improve the Server Admin and Workgroup Manager applications as well as the QTSS Publisher and Network Image Utility. 10.3.2 will also bolster Kerberos support for AFP services and strengthen Active Directory integration.

Sources said 10.3.2 will update MySQL to Version 4.0.16—the database's most recent version—and speed up importing of user records. The update will also tune up PostScript printing.

The company identified bug fixes to a wide range of system components, including Password Server, Single Sign On, LDAP and AFP Services.

Apple is also priming an update to Panther client, also Version 10.3.2. That update will reportedly include refinements to networking, graphics drivers, USB, WebDAV, international text and AFP Server, sources said.

Both updates will come on the heels of Version 10.3.1, which tweaked some system components but also addressed data-loss issues concerning FireWire 800 drives and the FileVault security feature.

Apple shipped Mac OS X Server 10.3 "Panther" on Oct. 24 with a price tag of $499 for a 10-client version and $999 for an unlimited-client license. The upgrade to the UNIX-based OS includes a new Server Admin management tool, Open Directory 2, Samba 3, and a JBoss application server, among other enhancements.

Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple was not immediately available for comment.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I want functional network share browsing. With Jaguar, I used to get hundreds of results, all properly sorted into their groups. Now, I get six. And no groups. And nothing besides myself under the "Servers" link. And the ONE server I need to be able to connect to DOESN'T WORK.

Congrats, Apple.

--Cless

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
FONTS

I just called font agent about whether or not they supported panther yet (i have had a lot of font issues and had to swith back to Jag as a result) They told me that they did support it and all that i had to do was download the latest patch from apple.

But to my knowledge 10.3.2 has not come out yet, has it?

And if it has, has anybody with font problems noticed a difference?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.