Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Safari is SLOWWWWW

Originally posted by arrowoods
I use to love Safari because it was much faster than explorer and just generally cooler. Then I found Mozilla Firebird and it blows Safari out of the water as far as speed. Much better Java support especially on Yahoo games. and it kills Safari on Banking sites for speed. My Safari just hangs and goes like a slug on Bank of America site. I will try out the new version but the last 3 revisions have done nothing to fix it. Apple call Mozilla and get it right!!!
That banking site slowness is probably the HTTPS issue that someone mentioned previously. Safari has a bug/design issue/something where it will open a new HTTPS connection for each element on a page...or something like that--I don't know the exact details. Whatever it is, it makes HTTPS way slow, and I'm pretty sure Dave Hyatt has kind of acknowledged it, so it should be fixed at some point (hopefully in 1.2).

WM

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by nagromme
I wish a pref let you turn "in new window" links into "new tab" links. I know you can command-click, but only AFTER you know a new window was going to pop open. Rather than watch the status bar and manually decide when to hit command, I'd just like all "new window" links to go automatically into a new tab.

Anyway, the new stuff sounds good! Especially resuming downloads. That's all I still use IE for.
Yeah, I agree 100%. I don't like it when site designers dictate (using JavaScript) that I really need a new window for something. I'm not sure how Safari would want to deal with JavaScript commands to make a window a certain size, have scroll bars or not, make it resizable or not, etc.--obviously you can't dictate any of those things in a tab.

WM

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: APPLE READ THIS

Originally posted by mclosers
I hope apple reads this....
anyways how about an option in safari to alway open all links in a new tab rather than having to right click(or control click for you fools without a logitech mx700[best mouse ever made in my opinion]) anyways there should be multiple variations on the same concept like clicking a link opens it in a new window(instead of new tab) and maybe a key to hold down while clicking to open the link in a new tab instead of the same window, thus allowing people with tons of mice buttons(not sure about tense of mouse there) to click one button to open a link in a tab.
At least with the default settings, you can command-click to open a link in a new tab and command-shift-click to open in a new tab behind the current one. Program a mouse button for one of the key combos and you're in business...

HTH
WM

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
Well Hopefully printing improvements will bring OSX up to Mac levels instead of being the ridiculous Quagmire Windows like Mess it is now with multiple windows sloppy interface repetitive tasks required and the inability to save settings. A Major waste of time and confusion for any serious artist making high end museum quality prints!:mad:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Originally posted by Kiwi-Todd
My network was purrfect in Jaguar - so I see no reason why I should expect it to pack-up due to an upgrade.

I am also hoping for a return to the functionality and stability of Jaguar's networking.
To be fair to Panther, it took a big step forward in terms of smooth networking--it works better with the SMB shares on my network than Jaguar did, windows shares actually display with their sharename (a HUGE improvement), and the Connect To Server dialog isn't modal anymore. All things I've been desperately wishing for.

Unfortunately, it also took a couple of significant steps back, which is what eveybody (or almost everybody--I certainly am) is hoping Apple will get right with a .3.x update along the line here eventually.

Flaky connections, difficulty in identifying whether you're connected to a server or not (what WM. suggested is correct, but even the display is a bit inconsistant, and I still have to navigate to the share to see if I'm connected to it--not trivial on a large network), reduced usefulness in the Connect to Sever dialog, and the bloody thing STILL won't connect to a SMB share via an IP address if it's outside the local domain (at least no kernel panic now).

Why can't they just add SMB networking to the OS9 Network Browser? Is that too much to ask?

sweetaction

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2001
seattle, wa
safari 1.2!

now I can log into bank of america and not have it relocate and stop leaving my socail security number and account number in the URL!

and the form frop down lists and buttons respond to text size adjustments.

go apple

fabsgwu

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Washington, DC
ipod and panther

Just to throw something else on the pile of negatives for Panther, Jag too for that matter; iPod management.

It may not be that big of an issue, but when an iPod is connected to the Mac, when the computer goes to sleep, the ipod stays connected and "awake," only now it's not being charged--so you're left with a drained battery, not to mention unnecessary charge-drain cycles. Also, sometimes when the ipod is connected, it doesn't show up as a connected drive (even though I have it set as a firewire hard disk).

I HOPE they address this issue, as well as the many networking issues discussed in this thread. I know a lot of the problems come from Windows complications (windows networking isn't a savior by any means), Apple really needs to pin down these basic OS issues before moving on to the more sexy updates.

OS X is great to use and work with, but it has it's own quarks. I suppose it is a young OS, relatively speaking, but I hope the Apple developers really polish Panther before charging another buck fifty for an upgrade. :rolleyes:

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
The only feature Safari needed was the ability to type letters in a pulldown menu and have it jump down...instead of having to click and scroll down! (so annoying)

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Makosuke
To be fair to Panther, it took a big step forward in terms of smooth networking--it works better with the SMB shares on my network than Jaguar did, windows shares actually display with their sharename (a HUGE improvement), and the Connect To Server dialog isn't modal anymore. All things I've been desperately wishing for.

Unfortunately, it also took a couple of significant steps back, which is what eveybody (or almost everybody--I certainly am) is hoping Apple will get right with a .3.x update along the line here eventually.

Flaky connections, difficulty in identifying whether you're connected to a server or not (what WM. suggested is correct, but even the display is a bit inconsistant, and I still have to navigate to the share to see if I'm connected to it--not trivial on a large network), reduced usefulness in the Connect to Sever dialog,
Absolutely, the interface sucks (relatively) and they need to change it.* I just didn't want people to think that Apple had removed more functionality than they actually did. :)
and the bloody thing STILL won't connect to a SMB share via an IP address if it's outside the local domain (at least no kernel panic now).

Why can't they just add SMB networking to the OS9 Network Browser? Is that too much to ask?
I never used the Network Browser in OS 9, so I wouldn't know what to think about that, but it seems like people were pretty happy about the Jaguar UI, and they just wanted it to actually work better (which Panther apparently does under some conditions). Which is basically what you said. :)

WM

*Hmm, not the best sentence: "The interface absolutely relatively sucks." :eek: Maybe I need a semicolon there instead. What I mean is, Makosuke is absolutely right and the interface sucks relative to Jaguar.

Just a friendly announcement from your self-editing grammar stickler. :)

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by joemama
The only feature Safari needed was the ability to type letters in a pulldown menu and have it jump down...instead of having to click and scroll down! (so annoying)
Not sure if you know this already, but this is a new, system-wide feature in Panther.

WM

New Guy

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2002
Connecticut
I'm still holding out for the ability to drag tabs around a window (to reorder them), out of a window (to spawn a new window) or between windows. It just seems a logical extension of the Tabbed interface metaphor.

Craig

Glial

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2003
Haughton, LA
Originally posted by MacBandit
Your voting negative on tabbing to form elements because you don't have the option to turn it off?

The feature isn't even released yet how do you know that you won't have an option to turn it on or off?

If you want new features then you should update. Apple shouldn't have to put resources into adding features to old systems. The system still works fine and they still release security updates for it. I don't expect Toyota to add a new updated stereo to my Corolla when they come out with a new updated model. When was the last time Microsoft added features to Windows 98?

Jaquar is an "old system"?

But you do expect Toyota to manufacture parts for your Corolla right?

"Sorry sir but we no long offer parts for you "old" 2003 Corolla. You should just consider purchasing a new one........every year."

Is there a current browser that won't run on Windows 98? MS just extended support until 2006.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Addressing freeze-ups??

I'm personally very curious to know if Apple is making any attempts to resolve issues with the windowmanager daemon freezing up on G5 systems?

I've been having random problems for quite a while now with my dual 2.0Ghz G5 system where the GUI will suddenly freeze up, but the mouse pointer is still moveable. (Depending on where you move it, it may change to the spinning beach ball.) The dock doesn't respond and you can't click on anything. The only way out seems to be holding down the power button and powering it off.

Here's where it gets interesting though: When this occurs, the machine isn't really crashed. You can still ssh into it from another PC on the LAN and use the command prompt. Any files or printers it was sharing are still accessible from other systems too. At least, that is, until it decides it's time to switch to the screen saver. At that point, the screen goes black and the machine totally crashes.

Alternately (but far less often), I get a situation where the screen just suddenly goes blank and the system is completely non-responsive. If you let it sit this way instead of powering it off and back on right away - you hear the fans steadily increase in speed until they're all running full speed. (One time, it did this when all I did was click to open up a folder on my desktop. No other apps were running!)

I know I'm not the only one with this issue either. There's a big thread on the Apple forums about this - and a number of us have identical problems. One guy ssh'd into his G5 when the GUI froze like this and discovered the "windowmanager" process was displayed as stuck. He tried to kill and restart it, but killing it just crashed the system completely, requiring a hard power off to reset it.

Calls in to Apple on this issue haven't resulted in any real solutions, so far. (One guy is getting a replacement video card, but we all doubt that's the issue. If the card was bad, why would the display change upon killing the window manager process? Also, if that turns out to be the culprit, ATI must have a LOT of defective cards out there. Some of us have Radeon 9800 Pro's and others have the 9600 Pro's and we're all getting the same issue.)

At the risk of this getting too far off topic, has anyone else here experienced any of this? I never remember noticing it on my G5 until after I did things like upgrade to 10.3.2 - but I can't say for certain when it started. I'm almost positive it got worse right after I installed the Adobe Creative Suite one evening - but it's hard to understand why that would have made a difference.

Originally posted by mkjellman
just checked the seed note...there are quite a few problems. This will be the first seed since the Panther seeds came out that I am going to skip. I am not going to be specific so i don't violate the ADC rules but it seems to go backwards....many of the problems were in the first builds of Panther if i remember correctly.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Glial
Jaquar is an "old system"?

But you do expect Toyota to manufacture parts for your Corolla right?

"Sorry sir but we no long offer parts for you "old" 2003 Corolla. You should just consider purchasing a new one........every year."

Is there a current browser that won't run on Windows 98? MS just extended support until 2006.

Toyota and Apple continue to make the parts but they don't make automatically provide parts anymore to improve the vehicle at no extra cost.

Safari still works in 10.2 just not the new one. It's the age old envy of the new product.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Re: Addressing freeze-ups??

Originally posted by kingtj
I'm personally very curious to know if Apple is making any attempts to resolve issues with the windowmanager daemon freezing up on G5 systems?
Firmware Update 5.1.4 (the only one that's been released for download) doesn't help at all?

Other than that, I *shrug*...

WM

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by WM.
Not sure if you know this already, but this is a new, system-wide feature in Panther.

WM

Actually what you are referring to is typing the name of a file in list view. The person you are quoted is referring to a pop down menu which Safari does not let you type into like IE has for what seems like a decade. If Apple is adding the ability to tab to buttons and drop down menus I would think they would also add the ability to type to find the selection in a drop down menu.

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
Bookmarks Drawer?

Safari 1.2? I have but one wish...I just want a bookmarks column, a drawer, or something, that will allow me to view all of my bookmarks while I'm surfing. Sort of like they did with the new movable window drawer in iCal...I know, you can open up a separate tab and see all of your bookmarks on one page, but it's a pain in the arse having to switch back to it every time I want to select one of my bookmarks. Please Apple, are you listening?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Bookmarks Drawer?

Originally posted by jcshas
Safari 1.2? I have but one wish...I just want a bookmarks column, a drawer, or something, that will allow me to view all of my bookmarks while I'm surfing. Sort of like they did with the new movable window drawer in iCal...I know, you can open up a separate tab and see all of your bookmarks on one page, but it's a pain in the arse having to switch back to it every time I want to select one of my bookmarks. Please Apple, are you listening?

Do you have .Mac? If you do you can do this.

I just have all my bookmarks in the bookmarks menu like I would any other browser.

Messiatosh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2004
Market Share Solved (Hillarious)

Maybe I am being simplistic about this, in my quest to pose a solution to a problem-which it really is.

Share (In this case market share in the PC industry)

1. The part (usually an iron or steel plate) of a plow which
cuts the ground at the bottom of a furrow; a plowshare.

2. The part which opens the ground for the reception of the
seed, in a machine for sowing seed. --Knight.

Ok, I just got finished reading the business week cover article about Steve Jobs and the iPod. The article frames this digital media craze as Steve's quest for Mac market share redemption, the iPod being his second chance to do things the right way.

I still think he could succede on his first one, the Mac's marketshare is not at a total loss. The article says it hovers around 3% or less but is made up of a rabidly loyal base (us) that keep on coming back for more innovation. They see Apple's only potential threat to this market (us again) would be a lack of innovation. I agree, however I also think that there really is a simple way to solve the freaking market share "crisis" in the media's mind-Once and for all.

The ****FACE Macintosh! A complete piece of ****, **** job. Something so terribly ill equipped to even be called a Macintosh by our standards, something so cheap it would possibly ship with the same components Dell uses! Why not? More people would buy it, because it would cost 500 dollars!

Here's what it could be:

A G4 at 800 Mhz
iLife
Apple Suite (Office)
Safari
The usual software bla bla...

Here's what it wont be: A digital hub
One firewire port
No wireless
No LCD
No R&D on design (who needs that right? Certainly not PC people)
Nothing more than a CD-RW drive

Price her at $499 and have it come in beige and black-Bingo

One crap ass **** face piece of ****-but it would sell by the truckloads, and it wouldnt matter if Best Buy, Circuit City, or any of those places sold it. Oh, you say, "but people would get a bad impression of Apple!" Not a problem, they have years of media bashing and ignorant sales people/next door neighbors that have already done that. It would look like crap and get broken in the stores? So does everyone else's computers and hardware though. Make it a tough machine, no frills, but maybe just bare bones enough to give Apple the same profit it makes on an iPod-say $50 bucks.

Market share would go up, no doubt.

"But this is a stupid idea, its not a good one or Apple would have done it already." Heres the catch buddy! Outsource it to be produced and shipped by HP or someone...call it the HCrap or HPac or something.

CLONE THE OS X OS ON A SINGLE TYPE OF PC CLONE!

Do I hear 10% knocking at our door, 10% never felt so dirty...So good.

People want ****, give them **** but dont let them know its Apple----Until they start it up.....Honestly, how many PC losers actually TRY out their machine before they buy it anyway? "Hey honey, this one can get on the internet for just under 500 bucks."

"Ok, I like it too honey, and it looks like the Johnson's one too."

"Yup, sure does, and also the Guererro's...and the.....my office has one just like this and it does everything I need...."

Ahh, all while Apple takes this market share money and dumps it into R&D to make the real, productive, and creative users more products that are actually worthy of being sold directly from Apple..

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Actually what you are referring to is typing the name of a file in list view. The person you are quoted is referring to a pop down menu which Safari does not let you type into like IE has for what seems like a decade. If Apple is adding the ability to tab to buttons and drop down menus I would think they would also add the ability to type to find the selection in a drop down menu.

I'd like to be able to type into a dropdown too. Especially on the XE.com currency converter, in IE I could press N five times to get to New Zealand, but in Safari I have to manually scroll down and find it.

doogle

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by New Guy
I'm still holding out for the ability to drag tabs around a window (to reorder them), out of a window (to spawn a new window) or between windows. It just seems a logical extension of the Tabbed interface metaphor.

Craig

...absolutely New Guy i have quite dumbly tried to drag tabs out of windows because it feels like they should!

--
...bring Home folder to ipod!

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Safari is SLOWWWWW

The OS does handle a bad program gracefully it allows the program to crash and quit without affecting any other running programs.

I agree.

Apple doesnt have any control over crappy code that other people write. But crashing apps rarely ever mess with OSX or other apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.