Mac OS X 10.3.9 to Mac OS 10.4.7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cbIII, Sep 5, 2009.

1. cbIII macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm really really new to this ...just bought a iBook G4 ...really enjoying it already. Its running with Panther and I read that Tiger is better plus I have an apple ipod touch that I'd like to be able to sync with this laptop. I don't know how old this iBook is. I bought a full version of Mac OS version 10.4.7 but was unsuccesssful trying to load it THEN noticed on the CD it says iMac. Did I get the wrong OS CD's? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks -Chuck

2. MacDuck macrumors member

3. sonspot macrumors member

hi there OP, am not sure how much you payed for the G4 and the tiger disk, just my 2 cent, do a tally, i wouldnt spend more than the cost of used MB total, do a search budget wisely..

4. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

10.4 is worth it over 10.3 but it can be somewhat pricey to buy retail. This page has some deals:

Best Mac OS X 10.4 'Tiger' Deals

You may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, like eBay, but you have to be very careful that you are getting the full retail version. As you have already discovered, some install disks are only for particular hardware platforms.

Once you get 10.4 installed, be sure to go online and run Software Update to get all the latest updates, including bringing the OS up to version 10.4.11. A minimum of 10.4.10 and iTunes 8 is required to work with your iPod touch.

5. cbIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

I'm a little confused...below is a description of what I bought. Will this not work in my iBook? Sorry but this is a learning curve for me

iMac OS X 10.4.7 Tiger Software Install Discs BRAND NEW
    iMac Mac OS X Install Discs (x2 discs).
    Mac OS version 10.4.7
    AHT Version 3A108
    Disc Version 1.0

2Z691-5734-A

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Not likely, since it specifically says iMac. I have a retail version of Tiger, and it says this on the disk:

Mac OS X Tiger
    Includes Xcode2
    Install DVD
    Version 10.4.3
    2Z691-5599-A

I'd be wary of that one too. If you read the details it says "Compatible with any eMac." You have to be really careful with these install disks offered on eBay, and make sure the seller tells you explicitly that it is a retail version that supports any Mac, or at least be sure it will support your particular hardware. If they won't give you that guarantee, don't do it.

7. cbIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

All this information is very helpful...too bad I didn't ask the questions before I bought the discs. :( Thanks! :eek:

8. cbIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Could I get a bit more help? I've been watching ebay to try and get the best deal on Tiger OS. Does this sound like something that will work on my ibook G4? CD....DVD....does it matter?

"This is the CD retail version of Mac OS X 10.4, originally 10.4.6 but you can upgrade it all the way to 10.4.11"

The item is listed at the following address:
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mac-OS-X-10-4-Ti...ware?hash=item33555a8a47&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thank you

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's the one you want.

10. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Yes, that sounds like the version that you need. But I have never heard of a "downloadable license." The license agreement I have with my retail copy of Tiger says (emphasis added):

It sounds like this seller might be running a scam to sell multiple copies of this software. If it were me I would ask to see the terms of this "downloadable license."