Mac OS X 10.4.11 to 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jnardis, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I just purchased the Iphone 4 and when I went to plug the phone into my MacBook I reeived a message that I am currently running 10.4.11 and need to have 10.5.8 or higer in order to have the Iphone sync with itunes. I called Apple and they said I would need to buy the box set for $169. I really don't feel like spending that kind of cash on an old computer. I saw some posts saying I could just get the upgrade for $29. Does anyone have any experience with this or any information that would help me. I'm about to return the Iphone 4 if there isn't a cheaper solution.

2. Blair230 macrumors regular

What kind of mac do you have? The upgrade is for Snow leopard and I believe that only upgades from Leopard itself. Also Snow LEopard is Intel mac only.

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

You can indeed upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

It also says the requirements for the phone on the box, so it shouldn't have come as that much of a surprise.

4. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have the MacBook Mac OS X Version 10.4.11. So I basically can't use the $29 upgrade?

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

Incorrect. You can indeed install Snow Leopard on top of Tiger, as I stated above.

6. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I saw a lot of posts that said it worked and a lot that said it didnt work. I guess I will try the $30 upgrade even though Apple said it won't work.

Thanks for your help!

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

8. Jnardis thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went to apple the store and bought the $29 update after all the sales repp said it wouldn't work. Well it worked like a gem and running perfectly. Thanks for the help!

9. khard macrumors newbie

upgrading

@Jnardis, I am currently having the same issue that you were having with your computer not being the right version for the iphone4. I was hoping you could tell me how exactly you went about upgrading with the $30 snow leopard cd?

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

^^^ Insert the DVD, hold C, follow directions.

11. khard macrumors newbie

thanks, my sister got the cd when she bought a macbook with leopard on it....now to find the cd

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the cd that comes with one mac wont work with another.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As mulo said it already, those grey Restore DVDs are model specific, thus not exchangeable, unless you have the very same model.

You can get Snow Leopard for 29 USD and use that though.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You can call Apple, they will send you a replacement disc for around $15.

15. khard macrumors newbie

The replacement disk will work even though my sisters original cd wouldn't have worked for me?

That little bit of info just saved me a whole lot of searching time. Thanks :)

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, the disc they send is for the machine you have.

17. khard macrumors newbie

I am not going to continue looking for the cd but I just wanted to double check this info. The cd that I was going to upgrade tiger to snow leopard wasn't the back up disk that came with my sisters computer. She got it because her computer had been manufactured before snow leopard came out so instead of installing it into her leopard they just gave her the cd when she got the computer. Would that cd still be considered model specific?

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the replacement DVD is for your Mac and not for your sister's Mac, then it will work. Otherwise the replacement DVD will only work with your sister's Mac.
    Anyway, Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard can be had for 29 USD and it is a full retail version of Mac OS X (excluding iLife though).

Wow, I think I have written those words five times today, the part about Mac OS X 10.6 being buyable for 29 USD.

19. Gregg2 macrumors 603

The discs that are black and have a large X on them are not model specific.

20. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I had this exact same situation except i have a PPC mac so I cannot move to 10.6. I ended up getting a 10.5 upgrade disk that was included in a computer that had been manufactured before 10.5 came out, but sold after 10.5 came out, so instead of installing 10.5 they just gave her the upgrade DV when she got the computer and it worked fine. Basically what I learned is gray disks are model specfic and disks nice with graphics are not model specific.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Apparently, you also learned that one disc will install more than once. :zipped: :apple:

22. TurdFerguson macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you mean. The grey disk will also install more than once also but only on the specific device it came with.

23. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...or one like it. Close, but incomplete. If you and Joe go into the Apple Store and each buy identical Macs, you both will walk out with installation discs that will work on either machine.

I'm talking about taking one retail disc and installing the OS on several computers. To be clear, I'm not advocating this.

24. Curtisj14 macrumors newbie

OSX 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 or 10.6?

Excuse me bringing up questions that probably seem as though they've already been answered, but I'm fairly inept when it comes to technology. I have a Macbook that I bought fairly soon after G4 Powerbooks were discontinued, it's either the first or second Macbook ever (13" screen). I also just bought an iPhone 4S that requires an upgrade. I looked through some answers already, and followed some links but it seems as though Snow Leopard is not available anymore.. from the Apple site at least. Does anyone have any suggestions? My Macbook is Intel based, but it's a Core Duo Processor, not a Core 2 Duo.

25. Curtisj14 macrumors newbie

Actually nevermind, I think I'll just buy a new computer.