Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SodaCycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
So i recently traded a pc monitor for an eMac with a G4 PPC processor and it worked great for about a week, i restarted and now all i see is a grey screen with a folder flashing the old mac face and a ?. I've looked all over the internet for a solution, there are many but i dont have an apple keyboard, i dont know if that effects anything or not, but when i try some of the key combos to do stuff none of them work.. like if i hold C while booting it doesnt boot from disk.. it trys to boot like normal. If i hit Command + S i dont get the single user mode i get this..

gedc0571.jpg

I dont even care about fixing the current version of OS X on it which is 10.4.11 i just want to be able to re-install it! But im having no luck... anyone have any ideas on this PLEASE help me..

PS sorry for the huge picture but atleast you can see what im seeing clearly..

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The flashing folder means that it cannot find the system boot files which probably means that you have a HD failure. Typically, the solution to this is to boot from the system install disc and do a disk first aid (stick the disc on and boot while holding down the C key). It sounds like you have tried that with no luck so you may be at the point of having multiple failures. I'd try booting from the System Install Disc a couple more times and that's all that I can think of. Good Luck.

SodaCycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

The flashing folder means that it cannot find the system boot files which probably means that you have a HD failure. Typically, the solution to this is to boot from the system install disc and do a disk first aid (stick the disc on and boot while holding down the C key). It sounds like you have tried that with no luck so you may be at the point of having multiple failures. I'd try booting from the System Install Disc a couple more times and that's all that I can think of. Good Luck.

I went to apple.com's support and downloaded TechTools Delux that will boot from the cd and it tries to run diag on the mac but it doesnt seem to ever go anywhere.. it just seems to set there doing nothing.. im so frustrated with this mac i could almost chuck it out the door.

SodaCycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
WHY IS IT TAKING SO LONG.. after about an hour on Tech Tool Delux the progress bar hasnt moved... and the cd has pretty much stopped spinning in the drive..

SodaCycle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2009
I replaced the hdd with a 320gb drive and replaced the cd-rom with a cd-rw dvd-rom drive, now everything is working great, turns out it wouldnt boot from cd all the time cause the drive was pretty much shot and the hdd is corrupt as well. In any case this is closed, i thank those of you who tried to help out.

maltonb

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
now that your done..

since your problem is fixed hers mine, 1. is Mac RAM the same as a type of pc RAM thats available in stores?
2. I have an eMac with Tiger, 512MB RAM and a 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, can this run Leopard problem free, and if it can what about Boot Camp?
3. If it can't where and how much would it cost to make it fit for the operations I need. (Running many .exe programs such as CS:S[counter-strike:source])

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
since your problem is fixed hers mine, 1. is Mac RAM the same as a type of pc RAM thats available in stores?
2. I have an eMac with Tiger, 512MB RAM and a 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4, can this run Leopard problem free, and if it can what about Boot Camp?
3. If it can't where and how much would it cost to make it fit for the operations I need. (Running many .exe programs such as CS:S[counter-strike:source])

Check out the specs by plugging in your Mac model into OWC's Memory finder matrix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.