Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes 10.4.2 is coming along quite quickly. Hope that it will provide the fixes that our members want. The problems with Tiger seems to be relational with those that are power users.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
VicMacs said:
at this pace in a year well be on 10.4.24
This is the same pace as Panther. 10.3.1 came out 2 weeks after the Panther release, and 10.3.2 came out a month after 10.3.1.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
BWhaler said:
Please, please, please Apple make this an enormous bug fixing debate.

I want to love Tiger. I really do. But it is still beta quality. The number and severity of bugs is painful.

Sure, I am happy that another release is coming soon. I just hope it is not another anemic bug fix.

Make .2 the 100mb+ patch Tiger desparately needs. I don't want to be waiting for 10.4.5 for what should of been the gold version of Tiger.

I'm really happy with Tiger. It works great for me, no issues I can really think of. I'm just hoping this comes out so we have the Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything in OS X before Windows can get to it!

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
it's nice to see bug fixes. I have, literally, dozens of bugs going on in Tiger, and more were created in 10.4.1 than were fixed (i.e. Flash MX2004 is completely broken)

I fine Tiger to be extremely buggy with a few app crashes a day, sometimes more. I've replicated this on a number of machines, and seems to be an across the board thing.

In any case, I'd like stability above all, and speed ups in the system in general. Brand new iMac w/ 2 GB of Apple RAM runs like a dog.

Amen. I thought 10.4.1 would be a huge update. With all the crippling bugs and performance issues i was expecting at least a 50MB update, not the (specialized) 20MB (on average) that we seem to have gotten.

I know there's peeps on dial up, but man, do i need things sorted out.

BWhaler said:

I want to love Tiger. I really do. But it is still beta quality. The number and severity of bugs is painful.

Sure, I am happy that another release is coming soon. I just hope it is not another anemic bug fix.

Make .2 the 100mb+ patch Tiger desparately needs. I don't want to be waiting for 10.4.5 for what should of been the gold version of Tiger.

sacear

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
melgross said:
It would have been nice if Apple waited on the release and fixed this stuff first.

I expect updates, but we shouldn't have to need two in the first month after release. If they held the release, they could have worked both .1 and .2 into the initial release. It's easier, and takes less time to fix things before release, then it does to close down development, remove the bug code, release it, and then to pull code, and fix bugs, write the installer for it---twice.

I've done this before. It's a lot more work.
BWhaler said:

Are you all some of the same people who were screaming "I want Tiger now!" just a couple months ago?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
rendezvouscp said:
While I personally have had very few problems with Tiger (except that Studio MX 2004 and CS 2 refuse to install correctly), I know others will appreciate the bug fixes.

Anybody else having problems with installing Studio MX 2004 and Adobe CS 1 or 2? I have Tiger but haven't installed it yet, so I want to be sure.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
tech4all said:
Anybody else having problems with installing Studio MX 2004 and Adobe CS 1 or 2? I have Tiger but haven't installed it yet, so I want to be sure.

I have Adobe CS1 and Adobe CS2 on Tiger without problems - installed CS 2 fresh. Don't know about Studio MX 2004.

nesbitt_a

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
tech4all said:

No problems here whatsoever.

Orlando Furioso

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Bezerkeley
BWhaler said:

Beta quality?

I know isues, large and minor, have surfaced in Tiger. But, other than Safari refusing to refresh a screen (yes, an annoying and major problem that needs to be addressed if it is common), I have had no problems with Tiger. All my apps ported over well enough and most importantly, work.

I just wonder how wonky your mac has to be behaving for you to consider Tiger a "beta release". So far for me it has benefited me more than Panther (and I assume the consensus is Panther has reached Gold standard long ago?), and I am enjoying the user experience again (though Panther was damn good already).

I guess my question is, are you having actual trouble with your OS or do you just like to complain?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i suppose i dont have any major problems with it. but it quite often seems to cut off from my wireless network. dosnt automatically join back either. seems to be when the internets being drained by other computers on the network that i seem to get cut off.

make the GUI scaling thing work better too. actually i had a dream last night where as well as the little resize window drag corner, the upper right one had a resize scaling option. hmm? seem to have my best ideas in my sleep :)

thats all i can think of really. Tigers a beauty. just wish they could throw some more Core Image effects (turn off-able in preferences of course)!

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
tech4all said:

I don't know anyone with the same problems, so you should be fine. It's the oddest problem, but Studio MX, Studio MX 2004, CS 1, and CS 2 won't install correctly. The apps refuse to run, except for GoLive, which runs just fine. I still haven't figured out what's going on.
-Chase

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
10.4.2!! wow

It cool to see that Apple is going to polish out any bugs in its early release of Tiger, as someone pointed out. Except few bugs, oh and safari crashing 2 times in the last week nothing esle is bothering me. Lets hope they going to fix that dropping wireless signal thing. Q2D Extreme would be nice too.

Its better that Apple releases their OS early so people can complain about bugs and get to fix them early. Unlike Windows world, that once OS reaches its final stage and its released, you have to wait months for the next update.
That way OS X alway feels new :D

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
tiger has been EXTREMELY buggy for me. i believe it was due to upgrading instead of a fresh install, but still, apple should have worked out the kinks. they pushed it out too soon. some days it isnt even usable.

for example, dashboard crashes. how does dashboard crash?!?! i thought it was an underlying feature of the OS?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
There's still one annoying little bug that 10.4.1 did not fix - when I try to make a custom search for other kinds, after I start typing, Mac OS X beachballs for about 5 seconds before displaying the rest of the list. It's definitely minor, and definitely annoying...

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
Orlando Furioso said:
Beta quality?

I guess my question is, are you having actual trouble with your OS or do you just like to complain?

For my part, I really like Tiger, but it's definitely beta-quality. I currently have 24 bug reports listed at the Apple developer website, and these are just the ones that have caused me problems in my day-to-day use of Tiger.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Marble said:
Yes! They are updating Display Preferences! I've been unable to change the brightness of my Powerbook's screen or change resolution for the last month!

amen... should have been something fixed in 10.4.1. really not happy i have to boot the 10.3 instal cd to change my brighness...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
The numbering argument is retarded.

10.3.9, 10.3.10, 10.3.11.

Can't see anything wrong with that myself. And there isn't. sub version numbers can go beyond 10. Fullstop.

Hopefully apple will sort out Automator performance and actions that don't work when running Automator scripts as Apps.

sacear said:
This (an article, and most likely more than just a rumour, about an update to the OS) is on Page 2 and "2GB and 4GB iPod Shuffles? (Unlikely)" is on Page 1??? Huh? Does anyone else think that is backwards?

Edit:
...after 10.4.9 (as you said with 10.3.x) comes 10.4.10, then 10.4.11, etc. What gets me about those who argue that there can't be a double digit, then what about the first number in the version... 10?! According to that logic Apple should have stopped their OS version numbering at OS 9! According to their logic the last possible version number of any software is 9.9.9. Then development just stops, I guess.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Oh, and the finder shouldn't crash when you open Packages.

This occurs at least once, if not, more, out of ten times of opening Packages.

Extremely annoying.

Some of these bugs in 10.4.2 could have been work in progress prior to 10.4.1, but not completed, so I'm hoping this will be a more significant bug fix.

reorx

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2004
San Antonio
CaptainHaddock said:
For my part, I really like Tiger, but it's definitely beta-quality. I currently have 24 bug reports listed at the Apple developer website, and these are just the ones that have caused me problems in my day-to-day use of Tiger.

Hmm... 24 problems in day-to-day use? I'm thinking its probably a little different than most people's use, because I've not seen any major problems (except for Cisco VPN breaking) that have caused me grief. The only problem I continually have is that Adobe Reader and Photoshop Elements have been absolutely flakey since 10.3.5-6 timeframe. Mostly involving "Adobe Update". Of course those aren't "Tiger" problems, so they don't count against the list of issues that 10.4 has introduced.

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I hope this fixes my internal modem problem on my Powerbook. Ever since I installed Tiger, I haven't been able to connect to the internet through my modem!

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Looks like Apple seriously jumped the gun on the release of Tiger. Potentially we are looking at two updates within only a handful of months since it release. Both of which are fixing numerous bugs. They aren't exactly instilling confidence in me in their QC abilities.
icon_confused.gif

PS- I think people should start posting in their sig if they did a clean install from scratch or not. The disparity between those who haven't had any issues and those who are having major headaches is pretty large and I'm wondering why. :confused:

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Double Digit Dot Releases?

sacear said:
This (an article, and most likely more than just a rumour, about an update to the OS) is on Page 2 and "2GB and 4GB iPod Shuffles? (Unlikely)" is on Page 1??? Huh? Does anyone else think that is backwards?

Edit:
...after 10.4.9 (as you said with 10.3.x) comes 10.4.10, then 10.4.11, etc. What gets me about those who argue that there can't be a double digit, then what about the first number in the version... 10?! According to that logic Apple should have stopped their OS version numbering at OS 9! According to their logic the last possible version number of any software is 9.9.9. Then development just stops, I guess.

If 10.4's dot releases did go past 9 (double digits), that would be an awful lot of updates.

Also where's all the OpenGL improvements Apple's supposed to be working on?

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
deanbo said:
If 10.4's dot releases did go past 9 (double digits), that would be an awful lot of updates.

Also where's all the OpenGL improvements Apple's supposed to be working on?

Pretty sure Apple is more concerned about squashing bugs before they start tweaking performance. My crystal balls ays expect it in 10.4.5 but that’s obviously a blatant out-of-the blue guess.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Orlando Furioso said:
Beta quality?

I know isues, large and minor, have surfaced in Tiger. But, other than Safari refusing to refresh a screen (yes, an annoying and major problem that needs to be addressed if it is common), I have had no problems with Tiger. All my apps ported over well enough and most importantly, work.

I just wonder how wonky your mac has to be behaving for you to consider Tiger a "beta release". So far for me it has benefited me more than Panther (and I assume the consensus is Panther has reached Gold standard long ago?), and I am enjoying the user experience again (though Panther was damn good already).

Not a complainer. Just an experienced software guy that knows a release shipped to make a date.

Why beta:

1. Q2D is turned off.
2. .Mac syncing does not work completely
3. Memory leaks in widgets and Safari
4. Mail needing to turn of plug-ins in .1 since Mail was not completely importing mailboxes and crashing continually with most plug-ins
5. Spotlight does not completely index mail and entire drives in many conditions.
3. The types of bugs. Example: Mail actually will save attachments inside of a keynote file if the keynote file was the last thing saved.

As you can see from the above, these are not cosmetic type bugs. These are core functionality which simply does not work to spec. I have filled more radar reports with Apple with a 'critical' status than I can count.

Don't get me wrong, every piece of software has bugs. I am sure Apple knows about quite a few on 10.3.9 which just aren't critical enough to fix. But Tiger really needed a couple more months.

And the big question is why did Apple ship Tiger on that date? It's either to make earnings numbers or because some key products require Tiger.

I suspect it is the former, but I hope it is the later. Seeing Jobs last Sunday at D3, he alluded to a lot of exciting things coming this year. So I have my fingers crossed.

sacear said:
Are you all some of the same people who were screaming "I want Tiger now!" just a couple months ago?

I was the opposite, in fact. Given Tiger is the OS we are going to have for the next 18-24 months, I wanted Apple to put as much cool functionality into Tiger as possible.

remingtonhill

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Tiger is "Revolutionary?"

What exactley is so great about tiger? Am I missing somthing here? It's seems to be panther with some widgets and more bugs.

Is anybody really all the excited about "spotlight?" Is "Automator" really going to sell pc users on the mac?

I guess I just don't get it. I have used tiger for 10s of hours now. I own a copy, but I really have no desire to install it on my home system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.