Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Bear said:
Pay attention:
1)It's Mac OS X V10.x
2)They are not decimal numbers. There could be a 10.4.10 if Apple wanted to.
3)Jaguar was 10.2.
4)The Next major release of OS X will be Leopard which we think will be 10.5.

No need to kick a dead horse. ;) :D

It always amazes me how MR can post a new version of 10.X.xxxxx and saw it will have bug fixes. Well that is a duh Q&A. What else would be fixed other than bugs. Now if it had the addition of something new then sure mention it, otherwise its the same story again and again and again and again..... ;)

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
cleanup said:
1. Download something.
2. When it's finished, open the Downloads window and click the Reveal in Finder icon (the little magnifying glass).
3. Your Downloads folder will appear. Switch focus to the Downloads window and click the close window button.
4. Focus goes to Safari instead of the Finder window, despite the Finder window being in front of the Safari window.

$&%*!

Wow. Catastrophic! Horrors!

After reading this thread, it seems to me that you guys are awfully agitated at minor things. An unfinished page won't scroll? A window focus goes to the application who's window you just closed? Use Windows XP for half an hour and then post your complaints. :)

(I'll grant you the Finder's "Network" function is hard to control, but man, I dig that it just lists all the windows machines on the lan. WAY better than the XP solution. Like, how I can't even figure out how to set up a network printer in XP, yet in Tiger, they all just appear when they're needed)

munkle said:
Place your mouse over the word and press command-ctrl-d :)

But not Command-Shift-D, since that makes hundreds of bookmarks. :/

mkjellman

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2003
networking in os x is flawed because it tries to do everything for you. they tried to make it show all servers/devices/and printers without you doing anything. this makes it slow

have you ever tried to browse for ALL network devices in XP? it takes forever. likewise if you browse for all printers across a domain it takes forever.

apple needs to realize this, break it down, and stop giving us nice little icons for servers until they can make it as transparent as a hard mounted drive.

-also, the thing i can't stand the most about networking in OS X. If i have a drive mounted and I put my computer to sleep without disconnecting and then go off the network, any action in the finder freezes and the disconnect button is non-responsive. thats annoying

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
My wishlist:

1. Universal iTunes-like interface
2. Upgrade Finder to 10.4.4 (it's that important :p)
3. Free sex
4. Safari fix

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
cleanup said:
1. Download something.
2. When it's finished, open the Downloads window and click the Reveal in Finder icon (the little magnifying glass).
3. Your Downloads folder will appear. Switch focus to the Downloads window and click the close window button.
4. Focus goes to Safari instead of the Finder window, despite the Finder window being in front of the Safari window.

$&%*!

Sorry, that's how it should be...if you focused on Safari in step 3, obviously it's gonna be still focused on Safari in step 4, because a "close window" command does not activate the window...

XNine

macrumors 68040
iHateWindows said:
My wishlist:

3. Free sex
4. Safari fix

Here here! I agree with 2-4, and 1 can be tosssed in whenever. However I do ask that they natively support more themes for the OS X GUI rather than jsut aqua. I refuse to install haxies to do the job, and wish that I could change various elements without hacks/mods.

Safari needs help. desperate help

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
Onizuka said:
Here here! I agree with 2-4, and 1 can be tosssed in whenever. However I do ask that they natively support more themes for the OS X GUI rather than jsut aqua. I refuse to install haxies to do the job, and wish that I could change various elements without hacks/mods.

Safari needs help. desperate help

What's so wrong with Shapeshifter? I've had it since I switched, and I haven't had a problem with it so far. 2.1 is extremely stable and supports many great themes, such as Synergy, iT5, Milk, etc.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
iHateWindows said:
What's so wrong with Shapeshifter? I've had it since I switched, and I haven't had a problem with it so far. 2.1 is extremely stable and supports many great themes, such as Synergy, iT5, Milk, etc.

Shapeshifter is a Hack. Hacks cause unstable systems. Look at all the "10.x.x update broke my computer!!!" threads, 99% of the time they have some sort of UI tweak installed

Anyway, my problem has been when I sleep it's generally a coin toss on whether it'll awaken or not. Since 10.4.3...

Then again booting into OS9 results = the same. But then again it's OS9 so it could just be behaving normally.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
liketom said:
set to high sorts this out

RE: G5 Fan revving. Setting to reduced also works. I've been doing low-end stuff recently, so this has been enough for me... However, that doesn't make this problem acceptable!:mad:

Despite all the problems I've had with 4.3, it still hasn't crashed! Ah... what a relief from windows:D

YOJ

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
matticus008 said:
Wouldn't it be nice to get a new Finder for the holidays? Something a little more...pleasant to work with?

All I want is a path bar, some major networking changes, you know, a Finder that didn't suck so bad.

You could hold down the apple key and click the icon in the center of the top of the window. That sort of works.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
mkjellman said:
-also, the thing i can't stand the most about networking in OS X. If i have a drive mounted and I put my computer to sleep without disconnecting and then go off the network, any action in the finder freezes and the disconnect button is non-responsive. thats annoying

Yes yes yes. This really needs to be adresssed. So many times i have had a windows share mounted, and forgotten to umount it before i leave work. When I get home, its hello restart. Finder and sometimes the whole system frezzes. If it just Finder I can start a Terminal from the dock and restart the offending process, if Aqua frezzes, gennerally i just reset. If I have something that i forgot to save, sometimes i've had luck ssh'ing in.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
generik said:
5 more point releases and we will have the next one.. OSX.5 Jaguar? :D

Geez, don't you peeple know anything???? Computer folks use hexadecimal! So it can get up to X.4.F before we have to flip to X.5!

What excites me the most is that it is only 187 more releases until OS XI.0.0. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

:D ;) :) :rolleyes: :p, and :) again.

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
matticus008 said:
All I want is a path bar, some major networking changes, you know, a Finder that didn't suck so bad.

Oh My God that would be great. If they can't do a path bar how about just highlighting the friggin volume you are working on! Hasn't anyone ever noticed that often times if you have mulitple finder windows open you can't really tell which one belongs to which drive?

generik said:
5 more point releases and we will have the next one.. OSX.5 Jaguar? :D

Surely your joking... :confused: Your profile says you are a regular.... With all the bugs yet to be fixed in Tiger we might just see 10.4.11!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
mad jew said:
Wouldn't have it any other way. :p

It was a serious question though. What exactly is wrong with the spell checker?

Ha! Made you highlight!

Dunno. But in Mail if you make a load of spelling mistakes and correct one in the middle, all of those to the left of it will lose their red squiggles.

Unless this was fixed in 10.4.3. I've stopped bothering to check and instead learnt how to spell :)

AppleMatt

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
mainstreetmark said:
But not Command-Shift-D, since that makes hundreds of bookmarks. :/

The amount of times I've gone into bookmarks and wondered what the hell is going on...... either that or the dock disappears. Either way, it's a maximum of 3 tries.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
mad jew said:
What's the problem? My spell checker's been fine AFAIK.

Iff yoou arne't gonna make teh goke tehn i wil!

This might be a good time to comment...
Hocked on Foniks werkid for mi!

iHateWindows said:
My wishlist:

3. Free sex
4. Safari fix

The Finder and the OS are not linked to each other. In 10.4.3 you are running Finder 10.4.2, but everything is up to date. Interesting, eh?

I don't really like iTunes for managing my files... music yeah, sure, but not my files.

3 and 4 sound good.

electronboy said:
Oh My God that would be great. If they can't do a path bar how about just highlighting the friggin volume you are working on! Hasn't anyone ever noticed that often times if you have mulitple finder windows open you can't really tell which one belongs to which drive?

No. Never had an issue, actually. Desktop is on boot drive, other drives are pretty easy to remember where is where. :confused:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I hope they bring back Scroll wheel Volume control for the systems :) .

What am I talking about?

Before this most recent update I could click on Volume control on my toolbar, and use the scroll wheel to change the volume.

This was quick and easy, and in a dark room (when watching a DVD) it was much easier to do then trying to fumble with the keyboard to find the volume up/down buttons, also faster and more accurate then click, click-drag-release.

gctwnl

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
The Netherlands
Let's hope they fix Mail.app

Macrumors said:

According to reports, Apple has seeded Mac OS X 10.4.4 Build 8G7 to developers. The newest build is said to offer a number of fixes for the Mac operating system.

Let's hope they fix Mail.app which has been dropping the Sent mailbox (while staying online, very nasty, you lose your sent mail, which is Sent but not stored) and generally has performance issues.

jono_3

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
several people have said that point 4 in buddy's wishlist (free sex) would be good. shouldnt all sex be free? if youre paying for sex, a 10.4.4 update shouldnt be you biggest concern

:p

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
A first build of Mac OS X 10.4.4 has been seeded to developers now. Apple wants to concentrate on CoreAudio, the DVD Player software, the HIToolbox, QuartzComposer, QuartzComposerQTComponent, QuartzCore,
ScreenReader, SoftwareUpdate and VideoConference. We'll continue to report as information trickles in.

http://haligon.blogspot.com/

AppleMatt

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Again, and as always since the day I've got a mac 3 years ago (except for 10.3.8...or maybe it was .6...one of those), I haven't noticed a single problem. But you'll never find me complaining about updates!

seashellz

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2004
according to a link on x86oriject.org,
Some fixes in 10.4.4:
------------
10.4.4 Build 8G7 (ppc?):

Subdevices now work correctly when removing an aggregate device

Fixed issue where reordering aggregate devices may cause buzz sound from subdevices

Fixed problem with AudioObjectRemovePropertyListeners

Fixed issue where USB/FW Audio may be lost after unplug/replug

Fixed issue with GarageBand

Various improvements and fixes to CoreImage

Improvements to DVDPlayback

High Level Toolbox NSSegmentedControl now renders correctly

Improvements to Open Scripting framework

Fixes and improvements to PSNormalizer

Parameters for fonts now work correctly in Quartz Composer

iMovie now creates the correct texture for 256 gray movies

Fix to Image Downloader

Numeric fields in Quartz Composer now accept math formulas

Count of patches in profile drawer now works correctly in Quartz Composer

Quartz Composer Source editor now respects line indentation

Quartz Composer's QCIndexPort now works correctly

Fixed issue with Quartz Composer and JavaScript

Fixed issue with Image Kernal patch editor and font changes

Fixed issue with the Source Patch Folder and Quartz Composer

Improvements to Quartz Composer's Replicate in Space

Improvements to Quartz Composer and QuickTime support

Added keyboard shortcuts to Quartz Composer

Addressed issue with Quartz Composer and Delete Key consistency

Fixed issue with Quartz Composer and inverted text

Fixed issue with Quartz Composer and size restraints

Fixed issue with 64k data limit and Pref Editor

Improvements and fixes to Sync Services-

all these were deemed too low priority to fix in 10.4.3 SUPPOSEDLY.

AND ive seen QT 7.0.4 being included mentioned.

sososowhat

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Still works for me

It still works exactly as you describe. Thanks for the tip!

840quadra said:
I hope they bring back Scroll wheel Volume control for the systems :) .

What am I talking about?

Before this most recent update I could click on Volume control on my toolbar, and use the scroll wheel to change the volume.

This was quick and easy, and in a dark room (when watching a DVD) it was much easier to do then trying to fumble with the keyboard to find the volume up/down buttons, also faster and more accurate then click, click-drag-release.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I hope they fix the "don't wake from sleep" that I know that's happening with at least one other tibook user in addition to myself.

I'm going back to .4.2 til then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.