Mac OS X 10.4.6 Compatability Help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iRyan75, Jan 11, 2011.

1. iRyan75 macrumors newbie

Hello. Hopefully someone can answer this simply enough, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking to grab a couple used macs and just wondering if I can use the copy of Tiger i have already, the one that came with my Macbook.

My question is about compatibility with other macs. I have the original disks that came with my Macbook Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X 10.4.6.

1) Will these discs possibly work with all intel-based Macbooks? What about with a desktop?
    2) Will it work on all Intel based systems, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo?

Alright thanks,
    Ryan

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Those discs will only work with other Macbooks of the same model. All system restore discs are like this.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No. The discs that come with any Mac will only work with the model they came with. You cannot use them on other models.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The disks that came with your Mac will only work on the same model Mac. In addition, it's a violation of the Software License Agreement to install the software on more than one Mac.

You can get copies of Tiger on eBay, and even occasionally direct from Apple (not in the stores, but by calling their support number), but if the machines are Intel-based, you'd be best just picking up some copies of 10.6 instead. It will run on any Intel-based machine with at least 1GB of RAM, which is a trivial upgrade on most machines.

jW

5. iRyan75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for your quick replies! I'm glad I decided to ask before going ahead and buying these computers.

Thanks again, you all have a great night! :)