Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
54,248
16,087
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

According to published reports on the internet, Apple is very close to releasing the Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Tiger) update based on the latest seeds to both their developer and their customer seeding programs.

This broad seeding generally indicates that Apple believes that their update is ready for the masses. The final seed lists no known issues remaining to be fixed and details fixes to OpenGL, GraphicsDrivers Common Code, Core Image, Sync Services, ImageIO, CoreData and iSync.

This is the fourth consecutive week of seeding a new 10.4.9 build from Apple.
 

plath

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2007
3
0
l33t but maybe i should just wait and not pay attention to these minor upgrades
 
Comment

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
2,650
1,244
Columbus
It could just mean they are finishing off Tiger by seeding a 10.4.9.

Soon we will all see the actual glory of 10.5! I can't wait
 
Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
12,030
486
OK folks, I'll get it out of the way for you:

newbie: "W00t! 10.4.9 iz teh last version of Tiger, bring on da Leapord"

normal member: "No, 10.4.9 is just a version number, they can have 10.4.10 or 10.567.123 if they want to, it's not a decimal point. How could it be a decimal point when there's already two of them in the version number anyway?"

newbie: "Whatever. Leapord iz gunna be out at teh Feb 20th event so 10.4.9 is gunna be teh last Tiger!"

normal member: "There's no way in hell that Leopard will be arriving any time soon - if there is an event on the 20th which so far there is no compelling evidence to suggest, we might get an extended preview of what's coming but the state of Leopard seeds to developers suggests a long wait before 10.5 comes out - I reckon April 10th will be the day."

newbie: "April 10th? So if I buy a MAC now will I get Leapord for free?"

normal member: "Not unless you buy the new Mac after the shipping date for Leopard is announced. Until then you'll have to pay for Leopard."

newbie: "That is teh suxx0rs. Apple is teh ghey."

Right, that's basically the gist of the thread so everyone can go back to their business and we'll probably see 10.4.9 next week sometime. iTunes 7.1 sometime the week after when the :apple: TV ships and after that the next big thing will either be a combined 10.5/iLife '07/iWork '07 launch in April or the latter two titles will get a quiet release in March and 10.5 will follow in April.
 
Comment

zblaxberg

Guest
Jan 22, 2007
873
0
OK folks, I'll get it out of the way for you:

newbie: "W00t! 10.4.9 iz teh last version of Tiger, bring on da Leapord"

normal member: "No, 10.4.9 is just a version number, they can have 10.4.10 or 10.567.123 if they want to, it's not a decimal point. How could it be a decimal point when there's already two of them in the version number anyway?"

newbie: "Whatever. Leapord iz gunna be out at teh Feb 20th event so 10.4.9 is gunna be teh last Tiger!"

normal member: "There's no way in hell that Leopard will be arriving any time soon - if there is an event on the 20th which so far there is no compelling evidence to suggest, we might get an extended preview of what's coming but the state of Leopard seeds to developers suggests a long wait before 10.5 comes out - I reckon April 10th will be the day."

newbie: "April 10th? So if I buy a MAC now will I get Leapord for free?"

normal member: "Not unless you buy the new Mac after the shipping date for Leopard is announced. Until then you'll have to pay for Leopard."

newbie: "That is teh suxx0rs. Apple is teh ghey."

Right, that's basically the gist of the thread so everyone can go back to their business and we'll probably see 10.4.9 next week sometime. iTunes 7.1 sometime the week after when the :apple: TV ships and after that the next big thing will either be a combined 10.5/iLife '07/iWork '07 launch in April or the latter two titles will get a quiet release in March and 10.5 will follow in April.

chill out dude...you don't know crap about leopard either so sit back and relax like the rest of us
 
Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
12,030
486
chill out dude...you don't know crap about leopard either so sit back and relax like the rest of us

It's a joke Joyce, geeze are all you lot born without sarcasm detectors or what?

Stop taking everything so damned seriously.
 
Comment

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
398
37
New hardware?

Does the timing suggest new hardware/updated hardware next week?
 
Comment

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
12,030
486
Does the timing suggest new hardware/updated hardware next week?

Possibly but I doubt it.

The next Intel product in the upgrade path is the T7700 processor (2.4GHz version of the current Core 2 Duo processor shipping in most Macs) that will have to tide us over for the late arrival of the new Santa Rosa platform which will bring the Crestline (Intel call it "Centrino Pro") chipset which combined will give some very handy features. It will keep the current version of the Core 2 Duo processor until the 45nm Penryn versions arrive later this year.

We're in a bit of a lull from Intel as they get their next kit ready for manufacturing.

Doesn't mean that we won't see new products based on existing tech but I just don't see it happening as yet - the Penryn versions of the Core 2 Duo processor have some really cool features re: heat and power consumption that make use in a small portable Mac really worth the wait.

So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.
 
Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,097
304
Indianapolis
Possibly but I doubt it.

The next Intel product in the upgrade path is the T7700 processor (2.4GHz version of the current Core 2 Duo processor shipping in most Macs) that will have to tide us over for the late arrival of the new Santa Rosa platform which will bring the Crestline (Intel call it "Centrino Pro") chipset which combined will give some very handy features. It will keep the current version of the Core 2 Duo processor until the 45nm Penryn versions arrive later this year.

We're in a bit of a lull from Intel as they get their next kit ready for manufacturing.

Doesn't mean that we won't see new products based on existing tech but I just don't see it happening as yet - the Penryn versions of the Core 2 Duo processor have some really cool features re: heat and power consumption that make use in a small portable Mac really worth the wait.

So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.
a.k.a. May 2007
 
Comment

lssmit02

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2004
398
37
So no, I think we'll be seeing some big software announcements in the first half of this year with Leopard and iLife/iWork/Pro Apps updates and the second half of the year will be more hardware stuff with new Macs, the iPhone and new iPods. Hardware releases closer to the US Back to School and the Christmas buying seasons really help Apple's bottom line as all the shiny new stuff gets free shopping hype from the media.

Thanks. So, no reason for me to delay a hardware purchase. With the 10 day price protection plan, I would at least get a rebate if Apple does release updated/cheaper hardware next week. I suppose I can wait until Tuesday to see. I will have to update more than one Mac, so I need a family pack update for Leopard/iLife, so the software is less of a concern.
 
Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
29,097
304
Indianapolis
I have updated the Merom article to better reflect new information about Santa Rosa.

Please take it into account for new hardware release along with Leopard and iLife/iWork '07 rumors. I honestly think Apple will wait until they can get ahold of Santa Rosa and then release it paired with Leopard.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.