Mac OS X 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bate8473, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bate8473 macrumors newbie

whoop whoop, dont hate me and be jealous that I'm running 10.4 still!!!!

But I want to upgrade to 10.6 : )

It says that I need to go 10.4 -> .5 -> 10.6, is this correct?

I only ask because I've looked on apple.com to but 10.5 so I can get SL, but all I find is a software that comes with leopard, ilife and a bunch of other gadgets. Can anyone find a link of just purchasing the OS? Or should I just opt for the more $

Thanks guys and gals!

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

You can upgrade from 10.4 directly to 10.6 by getting the Snow Leopard update DVD and wiping your 10.4 partition while booted off the SL update DVD and running Disk Utility.

Then you can run the SL installer which will do a clean install of SL.

If you want to preserve data files and applications, you will have to use an external utility (and external drive) to clone data before doing the upgrade. For example, with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!.

3. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

considering I only use the mbp to dink around on and nothing super intensive, nor am i super pro with all the apple laptop, that was like a foreign language to me lol

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you're updating from Tiger Apple wants you to use the $169 Box set. However, the $130 $30 upgrade disk will work, but you won't get iLife or iWork '09.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I think you mean $30 there. But this is correct, you can just buy the OS by itself and use that to upgrade.

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Fix'd

7. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

so i CAN go from 10.4 to 10.6 SL using the $30 upgrade, and everything will run fine and go smoothly?

Although I will lose all my media saved on this hd?

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Should be quick and painless.

No. This is not Windows. The update should go smoothly and you'll still have all your media.

9. Deezer macrumors newbie

You can use the single stand alone disc fine, no need for the family pack one *unless* you want to buy iLife09 etc.

Get the install disc, load it up and click Install.

My upgrade (from tiger) took about 50minutes. I did a clone copy back up last weekend as a precaution but everything on the HD is where it was prior to upgrading to SL.

I also managed to get 20gb back as well (have a 500gb HD) which wasn't expecting.

Just to reassure further, all media files were where they were meant to be, pics, audio, clips & movies.

Very nice bit of work ;)

10. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

God, this is exactly why I converted to Apple about 4 years ago. Best decision I've made.... in my LIFE!!!

hahaha, thanks to all you pros out there, I'll get there eventually!

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's the box set that comes with iWork and iLife. The family set simply has five licenses.

No you did not. The OS calculates space differently. You may have gotten some space back, but no where near 20GB.

12. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

Deezer thanks for much for that info, I made two posts a few weeks ago asking if it was possible to just upgrade the OS and not do a clean install. Thanks for sharing your experience, I'm happy as a clam and going to buy the 30 dollar disc.

13. toddy23 macrumors newbie

Just before I click that "install" button...

Good work Deezer

Back up all done and looking forward to going from Tiger to SL.

Couple of questions before I start to upgrade my iMac:

1. did you just to do an "upgrade install" (i.e just pop disk in and click install) , or a "clean install"?

2. any problems (anyone knows of) with iphoto '06 (yes, its been that long!) and Snow Leopard - or should it be ok?

Thanks

14. ivnj macrumors 65816

Family or no family using the 30 dollar disk to go from tiger is illegal. You need the whole 169 or 229 package. You have to get ilife and iwork weather or not you like it. They don't sell it alone too bad. The 30 dollar disc is only if you have leopard 1st version without the snow. Using it to upgrade from tiger would work but is violating the eula.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What precedent shows that breaking the OS X EULA is illegal? As far as I know a EULA is not a lie. ;)

16. Deezer macrumors newbie

1. Yep, I just popped disc in & clicked on Install.
    2. iLife 08 works fine, cant' advise re 06

17. Deezer macrumors newbie

Okay, my comment was soley based on the Finder showing 220gb free prior to SL, and then 240gb on restart.

How that happens, I'm happy for you to know the more techie stuff, but it *still* looked a nice return either way ;)

18. toddy23 macrumors newbie

Appreciate your reply. Thank you

Will go hunting around to find out about iLife '06 compatibility with SL

Thanks once again

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sort of, but it's more like Apple is lying to you. It's calculating size in the most flattering way (divides by 1000 instead of 1014). Windows, Linux and all other operating systems won't lie to you like OS X.

20. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I just went into my local Apple Store, went to buy the Mac OS X SL UPGRADE for $29.99, and he asked me if I had 10.5 Leopard, I said no. He then replied with, "You can't do that, you have to buy the box set."

Is he just saying this to make me buy the whole set?

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No, officially, those are the terms. The $29 upgrade is for Leopard only. The only way to stay within the EULA for 10.4.x users is to buy the much more expensive box set.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The $30 license will work with your computer, but the EULA says you need to buy the $169 dollar version. Do what your heart tells you. ;)

23. bate8473 thread starter macrumors newbie

lol

All I will say, is that I've been a loyal Apple customer for about 5 years, and have converted over about 4 people. They owe me

24. andyx181x macrumors regular

andyx181x

That's all baloney about violating terms, Apple's software will never reach a point like Microsoft that they could care less about who shares their OS's. No verification code is a bold statement, they left the loophole out there on purpose and I appreciate it a lot. For those of you who don't agree at least think of this: I could be torrenting the thing right now just like I did with ilife 08.