Mac OS X 10.5.2 killed PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moragrega, Feb 13, 2008.

1. moragrega macrumors newbie

I was waiting a lot for the update of the new Mac OS X Leopard, because blogs said that it was a very good update with a lot of impovements.
    But after the update installed, my Mac restarted twice, and it stayed for ever in the gray page with the Apple and the little circle rotating on the bottom.
    It never turned on. I sent it to see if they can fix it and if they can recover all my information. I'm still waiting.
    If someone has any information about this issue please let me know.

Eugenio

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

How long did you wait while it was on the grey screen?

3. TanToday macrumors member

One of my Apple's is a PowerBook G4 - 867 Mzh with Leopard 10.5.2 running right now quite nicely on it.

Remember, this is the BOTTOM end of Apple products that can run this version, Leopard without cheats or helps.

Make sure your PBG4 is at LEAST running on this speed 867MhZ processor.

If not, there r some little applications out there that will allow Leopard on slower machines, but offhand I cannot remember what they are.

[ iMac 24, 2-PowerBook G4 Titaniums, MacBook Air, iPod 30 Video 5.5, iPod Nano/3Gen, iPod Nano, Gen 2, Apple TV, and large apple stock holder .... come on, go UP for goodness sake....}

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Running swimmingly here (granted this isn't the low-end PowerBook..)

[​IMG]

5. nep61 macrumors 6502

No Problems with 10.5.2 on PB G4 1.25GHz

I updated to 10.5.2 last night on my 15" PowerBook G4 1.25GHz... used itfor about an hour before going to bed.... seemed totally fine for limited use. It did take a little over 20 min to download / install / reboot, but otherwise so far so good.

I'll see how it holds up during the coming days... I don't expect any problems. We'll see :cool:

Off topic... destined for a different thread... Ya know, the more I keep using my 4 year old PB G4... the more I realize...Hmm, I might not need to spend the $2500 on a new MBP after the updates arrive ! Maybe I'll just save the money... c'mon APPLE... so many tuesdays have come & gone...I'm getting anxious !!!

6. ewxlt macrumors regular

I have the exact same computer and it seems to be running fine since installing yesterday.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I have 1.5 GHZ G4 12-inch with the max 1.25 GB of RAM, and I have 10.5.2.

8. wanger123 macrumors newbie

9. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

Maybe the update needs to be reapplied? I did this once, and I fixed it by installing the update through the combo download (I think there is a link in the MacRumors news article) from another Mac, after connecting my PowerBook in target disk mode. It worked great.

10. aviv86 macrumors newbie

11. karenajane macrumors newbie

I'm jumping on this thread kind of late, but I had the same problem with my PowerBook G4. Basically, I was able to start the computer only when I had the Tiger install disk in the drive...so I just reinstalled Tiger and so far, the PowerBook has returned to its normal quirky pre-Leopard state. It didn't seem to me that it "killed" the PowerBook, so much as it appeared to put it to sleep in such a way that it couldn't wake up. If you hit the caps lock key and the light still comes on, you'll see what I mean.

So Tiger was the prince that rescued my sleeping beauty. :)

12. Jammer369 macrumors newbie

Karenajane - what is the speed of your powerbook?

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well... That's perfectly normal for Leopard to make your system wait while it update it's caches, on a slower system that wait could be up to twenty minutes. I'm thinking your machine isn't broken.. You perhaps assumed it's become unresponsive and you inadvertantly prematurely shut it down. :eek: