Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
i do a search in the spotlight menu, and want to know the path of the "top hit" so i click "show all." suddenly, my "top hit" is completely buried and hard to find. the old organization, with files grouped by kind, was far superior.

I second this. Being able to quickly go through e.g. all images which match the search criteria or to to display only the pdfs matching it or only the top 5 pdfs was great.

le sacre

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2004
sf, ca, usa
If you just hover your mouse over the selected item in the spotlight results list, it pops up the path info.

true, but it doesn't do me much good if the path is too long to remember once the menu list disappears (which it will, as soon as i do anything else). you can't even copy it to the clipboard (or do anything else with control-click on those files in the menu results list).

i very often right-click on a file in the search results window in order to open the enclosing folder. so it's problematic when my search result gets buried in a sea of unrelated items once i open that window (since i can't just right-click it in the menu results list).

schmoogol

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2005
New Zealand
true, but it doesn't do me much good if the path is too long to remember once the menu list disappears (which it will, as soon as i do anything else). you can't even copy it to the clipboard (or do anything else with control-click on those files in the menu results list).

i very often right-click on a file in the search results window in order to open the enclosing folder. so it's problematic when my search result gets buried in a sea of unrelated items once i open that window (since i can't just right-click it in the menu results list).

If you hold down command as you click on your top hit in the spotlight menu it will reveal that file in the finder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.