MAC os x 10.5.2 solved how many of my problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theman, Feb 14, 2008.

1. theman macrumors 6502a

In other words, it solved ZERO of my problems.

Problems with 10.5.1 --> 3

Problems with 10.5.2 --> 3

Net change, 0.

Pretty clear right?

Now to the details:

Problems with 10.5.1 -

1. Wifi drops out after waking from sleep, have to manually type in the network name and password almost every time. Or, restart my router, or randomly change network settings until it works.

2. MBP does not want to wake up from sleep. Sits on a black screen for a while, or the mouse pointer movement and graphics become choppy until i restart.

3. restarting... it hangs on shutdown for an indefinite period of time, or until i hold down the power button. I am greeted by a friendly, "os x Quit Unexpectedly" window when it starts back up.

Problems with 10.5.2 -

1. Wifi drops out after waking from sleep, have to manually type in the network name and password almost every time. Or, restart my router, or randomly change network settings until it works.

2. MBP does not want to wake up from sleep. Sits on a black screen for a while, or the mouse pointer movement and graphics become choppy until i restart.

3. restarting... it hangs on shutdown for an indefinite period of time, or until i hold down the power button. I am greeted by a friendly, "os x Quit Unexpectedly" window when it starts back up.

Oh yeah, and let me add a new section, entitled:

leopard Caused How Many Problems?

In other words, leopard caused THREE problems.

Problems with Tiger --> 0

Problems with leopard --> 3

Net change: +3

THREE.

I love MACs don't you? MAC MAC MAC. MACiddy MAC MAC MAC.

:apple:

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

3. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Yes, but you answered it in the thread body, making this is a pointless thread.

5. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it's a guide: How to compute how much leopard sucks (for the mathematically challenged)

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

How many of my problems has Leopard solved?

1 - I despise having to launch huge slow apps just to view what a document is. The new Finder makes that a thing of the past, in more than one way.

2 - Networking with Mac OS 7.6 was quite unreliable with Tiger. Strangely, it seems to be perfect with Leopard.

How many problems has Leopard caused me?

7. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i don't know about the rest of the people reading this, but all i hear is a whole bunch of wahhhhhhh...

considering i haven't had any problems what so ever with .1 or .2.

besides, it sounds like a hardware problem with the lagginess after waking from sleep.

8. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, a hardware problem that SUDDENLY occurs when you install leopard. In that case, it is a conspiracy by Apple to force you to buy a new computer before you need to.

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

take it to apple. unless you have a question about how we can help, don't waste our time with complaints.

10. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Yes

Lets

Skip

Lines

I have no issues with 10.5.2.

11. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

maybe your SR MBP is just too fast for OS X, run VISTA

12. theman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, I'll take it to apple... all I have to do is drive 200 miles, or take it to the authorized reseller in my town. Oh wait, the reseller was CompUSA... darn. I guess i have to live with having a computer that barely functions. So glad I switched to MAC os x.

13. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Umm have you ever head of a wonderful thing called a phone, and the mail? Call AppleCare and they will send you out a box. Stop being so over dramatic.

14. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Seriously, either ask for help and suggestions on how to fix your issues, do what people are saying and call Applecare, reinstall Tiger if it made you happy, or go buy a cheap PC and use Vista and be happy with it. You have legitimate complaints, but if you're not even ask anyone for advice on how you might possibly fix them, then this is an awfully pointless thread. I understand you're frustrated, but no OS is going to be perfect, and for many of us Leopard is functioning wonderfully. If you're having troubles, it might be productive to ask for help because then you might be able to, you know, SOLVE them? But if you made this thread solely to complain, there was no reason to bother posting.

15. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

Seems to have fixed my Unknown User issues I was experiencing in 10.5.1.

16. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

Honestly 10.5.2 created problems and personal quirks that I didn't have with 10.5.1.

10.5.2 for me introduced:

- slow and intermittent internet connection, connection dropped every 10 minutes or so.

- long startup time, 2 - 3 times longer than normal.

- shutdown hangs, would get spinning fan over my desktop image for a minute or two before shutting down.

- bluetooth would not turn on.

- dock size reverted to default no matter what I set it to.

Then my personal quirk:

The opaque menus irked the hell out of me. I have always preferred the translucent menu bar and drop-down menus. I find them easier on the eyes and more comfortable to read.

My solution: Insert Leopard DVD and do an "upgrade Mac OS X", then install all updates except 10.5.2. Back to normal again.

17. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, since none of that is normal behavior for the 10.5.2 update, a better option is probably to reinstall Mac OS X and all updates fresh, including 10.5.2.

19. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

Apple can keep 10.5.2.